Help! (Battery capacity when leaving plugged in)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by philtrapp, Feb 27, 2010.

1. philtrapp macrumors newbie

philtrapp

Help! (Battery capacity when leaving plugged in)

I bought my MacBook Pro 13.3" 5 months ago (according to Coconut Battery) and the battery-loadcycle is already at 51 and 89% battery capacity :mad:. Anyway I wanted to know, if i keep my Mac plugged in on the charger will the battery-loadcycles decrease?

2. Pax macrumors 6502a

No.

There are lots of threads on here (in the Macbook and Macbook Pro sub-forums) about battery life.

Leaving it on the charger will not materially affect your battery's life.

The 89% battery capacity is just a guess by the computer, it will vary up and down each time you charge your Mac. In particular it will vary with the battery temperature.

3. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Apple recommends that you completely drain the battery until the computer sleeps, let it sleep for 5 hours, then allow the battery to fully recharge. It allows the microchip inside the battery to take a more accurate reading of battery life. It also cycles the battery which, when done periodically, increases battery capacity. But yes, the battery reading does vary depending on the temperature and what you are doing on the computer at the time.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you left it plugged in from now until eternity your load-cycle count would stay the same. It's like total mileage on a car- it never goes down.