Help! Battery status says "Service Battery"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by isps, Apr 21, 2011.

1. isps macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a Macbook Pro 13'', i bought it on march 2010, and today while I was charging the battery I noticed it didn't reach 100% on the indicator and it said "service battery". Then, when I disconnected the charger, the percentage reached 100% and stayed like that for about 10 minutes. Now it says 91%, and it keeps showing "service battery". I downloaded Coconutbattery to check, I attached a screenshot.

I was wondering if I should take my computer to an Apple help center or get a new battery or should I ignore this and continue using this one? I really don't know much about battery life and such so I don't know what to do. Please help,

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Mine did the same thing. I took it to an Apple Store and they replaced it for free.

They said it had consumed all of its life in 10 cycles when it should have gotten 1000 cycles. It was defective.

You might be having a similar problem. If you live near an Apple Store, it can't hurt to bring it in.

3. isps thread starter macrumors newbie

I live a little far from one, but I can take it. But if i don't it won't stop working or anything right? Can I keep using my computer like this?

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Yes. You won't have optimal battery life, but the computer will still function. Might be smart to be plugged in as much as possible so you don't lose any work if the battery cuts off early.

5. isps thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks! =)

6. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Letting a lithium-ion battery completely drain everyday is going to shorten the life of the battery. With 382 load cycles, that looks like it's been charged and drained completely each day for the past year. That's going to stress the battery a lot.

You can try calibrating the battery, but lithium-ion batteries tend to fail quickly once it gets below 80%.

7. isps thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, i used to that. I thought it was better than leaving it plugged all the time. I'll try to calibrate it. Thanks!