Help! Battery Unrecognized

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Turkeywrap, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Turkeywrap macrumors regular

I got a MPB mid 2009, and i went to clean it out and disconnected the battery(everything was fine before). But when i went to go turn it on, it wont. It shows a big x over the battery sign. What should i do? Ive tried resetting the SCM. But heres whats funny, when i went to go turn it on right as it showed the boot screen i disconnected the charger and its working but it still shows an X over the battery.

Yes i'ved used the search button.

2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

There's your problem...

The battery isn't user-serviceable.

Your warranty is probably void now too.. Take it into an Apple store and have it assessed.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

That's all horrible advice. The battery is just as user replaceable as a CD drive or the RAM on the original mini. While it's not meant to be done, it's possible!

Taking the mac to the Apple store and crying to a "genius" will only flag your mac as no longer under warranty, and unless you want to pay $$$$$$ to have Apple fix it - no 3rd party solutions allowed this time - Apple will consider your machine's entire warranty null and void. In their eyes, if iMovie stops opening, it's due to the damage you inadvertently caused when you disassembled your mac, and if you want warranty service again, you need to pay to have Apple fix both the battery AND iMovie (because you broke iMovie when the mac wasn't under warranty).

So now for some real help

Open up your mac, again. What happened is that one of the wires that connects your battery to the motherboard isn't connected. Although the battery is connected to provide power, the wire that tells that computer that the battery is physically present isn't connected. I had the same problem when I pulled my mac apart to replace the bottom case. Pull the computer apart, check all of the wiring that goes to the battery, and try again.

If you're not comfortable doing that, you could always take it to a computer repair shop - not an apple store - and have them do it. It's cheeper than an Apple store, and they should be able to get the job done.

4. Gr80Likes2Boogi macrumors regular

TheBritishBloke said the battery isn't user serviceable, and he is correct. There is nothing for the end user to "service" or "fix," only replace.

It's user replaceable, but that's not what OP said he did.

5. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Excuse me? Horrible advice? It's the truth. It's not user replaceable WITHIN WARRANTY. And It doesn't matter if he takes it to a Genius bar now or later, it's still going to be void, as I'm sure they can detect whether it's been previously disconnected, and they'd know if an AASP or Apple Store has done this, because it would be on the case notes.

I just stated the facts, no reason to criticise it as being "Horrible advice".

EDIT: Thanks for supporting me Gr80Likes2Boogi

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Technically speaking, there should not be a difference between replacing the battery with a new one, or replacing the battery with the same one.

7. Turkeywrap thread starter macrumors regular

Hey look some actual help! Alright ill go back in to check the cables and report back. Thanks :) and my warrenty was already out I don't really care lol

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

But again, if you choose to read Apple's Terms and Conditions (again, I'm working from early 2007 legal text), the warranty is only null and void if you damage the computer while fixing it. Otherwise, you're free to do what you want with it. Telling a "genius" that you damaged it is sure to flag the computer as no longer under warranty. Fixing it yourself saves you the cost of Apple fixing the battery.

And while Apple may be able to tell that it was opened, they don't care. After I replaced the entire bottom casing of my non-unibody MBP, Apple still continued to provide warranty service for me, as defined by the terms and conditions set forth BY APPLE.

9. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

He noted he has a Mid-2009 MacBook Pro.. There are specific terms relating to each individual computer.

10. Turkeywrap thread starter macrumors regular

I jiggled and wiggled the cables that are connecting it to the LB and so far it's a no go. The MacBook pro is still using the power from the battery but it's not recognizing it, or the battery charge lights.

11. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

It's that great Foxconn quality.
    --

12. Gr80Likes2Boogi macrumors regular

Question to OP- what exactly did you do to "clean" it? Did you just open up the case and spray compressed air? Or dip it in windex and scrub it with a brillo pad?

I sincerely hope it's the former, and not the latter :D