Help beeping sound when turning on mac

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by baddj, Jun 13, 2009.

1. baddj macrumors 6502

Okay i did a ram upgrade to 3GB 1x 2GB Kingston and 1X 1GB whatever was in the macbook.

it has been working very well for like 3 days and when i turned it on when i get out of bed it went beep ,,,, beep ,,, beep so i turned it off holding down the button and then turned it back on it work :) then i had to go out i came back and turned it back on it work and had to go back out and just again it went beep,,, beep,,, beep and i done the same hold the button and then turned it back on and it worked why is it doing this?

2. baddj thread starter macrumors 6502

I just done the hardware test that's OSX disk that come with the macbook and it said there were no issues.. i have the 1GB stick on the bottom slot and the 2GB one on the top slot is that right or is it better to have the bigger stick on the bottom?

3. baddj thread starter macrumors 6502

Any one??

it was working good all day turned it on again to look at emails and it done it again :(

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

A couple things..

Firstly, it shouldn't matter what slot has which DIMM. Secondly, why do you shut down and boot up the computer each time you use it? The mac has a very good sleep mode, which won't necessarily fix your issue, but will reduce wear-and-tear of power cycling the computer, and will reduce your wait times :)

5. baddj thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for that ill use the sleep more now :)

As it passes the hardware test that's on the computer and it only does it sometimes like once or 2 times a day. could it be that having a 1gb and a 2GB stick or that there are two different brands?

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

So long as both sticks are 1066mhz DDR3 (which they have to be to fit, at the minimum) it in theory, shouldn't matter.

Theory doesn't always hold up so well on the mac hardware as they can be very picky about RAM types. If it continues to happen, you could always RMA the new stick, or just return it and try another brand (crucial and owc are a couple that seem to have good track records)

7. baddj thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool okay what ill do is if it happens again ill open it back up and put the big stick on the bottom and the small one on the top and make your there seated right. as it mite not be seated right and some times it fails to read the ram maybe?