Help! Before I take my MBP in for service.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ninethirty, Jan 11, 2011.

1. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

Hey Everyone,

I own a 15" MBP from this past summer, i7, SSD, Ultra high res... all that. I upgraded it to the max I think.

Anyway, I was in a car accident earlier this summer, not too bad, but I noticed the top of my MBP has a small dent in it (It was in my backpack). Shortly afterwards I did a hard drive test through disk utility and it found an error and said I needed to boot from the OSX disk, run again, etc.

I tried, but it seems my MBP will absolutely not start up from the DVD anymore. It waits on the grey screen forever, and fans go like crazy. Oddly enough, when I put the DVD in while in OSX, it recognizes the disk. So I used firewire target mode from another mac to fix the disk, which went fine, and I tried again.. still no luck.

I cloned the DVD on a hard drive and attempted to start up in USB mode from the HD and same thing... grey screen, fans start going nuts.

I'm going to take it in for service, unless anyone is familiar with this problem. Your help is much appreciated!

Cheers!

2. sydenham macrumors regular

Well the fact that you are still in your 1 year warrantee should be in your favour. I would take it in to an Apple Store, and they should fix it under warrantee. Are you using the original factory restore disk, or a Snow Leopard install disk?