HELP! Bent USB terminal contact "Updated 2X"

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Juandagis, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Juandagis, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012

Juandagis macrumors regular

I have a mid 2011 MacBook Air I bought in Oct and when trying to connect a USB it said it was consuming to much power and was going to be disabled. I checked the terminal and one of the little contacts has bent back touching the aluminum MacBook case from the inside. What do I do?

Should I try to bend it back?

Should I try the apple store?

What will they say?

Found the i/o board for 99$ on ifixit but it looks complicated and out of my league.

Help! Please

UPDATE: Took the laptop to the Apple store they are going to fix it! For free! Both USB ports.

2. mrs1986 macrumors regular

Is on warranty, just take it to the apple store, no one better than them to fix something like this...

If you try and fail, well, there will be no more warranty my friend...

3. Juandagis thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

Will do. Have to wait a week till I can go to the nearest apple store(3hr drive). Thanks.

4. Juandagis thread starter macrumors regular

5. Juandagis thread starter macrumors regular

2nd Update

After traveling 150 miles to pickup my Macbook Air only half of the repairs were done! They gave me my laptop and told me it was ready, but when i looked at my USB inputs the left side was still bent. The genius took it to the back and manager came out and said that it was not in the notes to fix both ports. She then tells me (pissed) that the work should have not been fixed under warranty and that should have been charged the 500$ to fix it, but they will fix it this time only.

They didn't have the part available and it would be ready in a week! This after they already had it a week because the part that they had in the store didn't work so they had to order one (for only one side).

I overheard them whisper that they were going to have to charge me 12$ shipping because if they gave me free shipping, if not corporate would find out their mistake.

So, hopefully this second week my computer is safely shipped to me.