Help! Best way to learn: Final Cut Pro Workshop, 1on1, or learn on my own?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by paulyd0021, Jan 28, 2010.

1. paulyd0021 macrumors newbie

Hi fellow Mac users. I'm in need of some quick opinions. I am about to embark upon my dream of becoming a film editor and my first step is to learn Final Cut Pro. My dilemma is that I have the chance to go to a reputable vocational school here in Michigan (specs howard) and take their 2 days a week for 7 weeks workshop on post production which will teach me how to use Final Cut Pro and maybe just a little bit of motion and soundtrack pro. However, this workshop costs $3,000!! So I am very hesitant to sign up, but i need to do so by tomorrow if I want to get in. But I know it would be the best way to learn and theres an option to become "apple certified" at the end through testing.

My other option is a local broadcast studio that teaches production and post production as well as one on one tutorials for Final Cut "Express". Yes, Express not Pro. Which I know doesnt have all the bells and whistles, however the classes are priced REALLY CHEAP. I believe $200 for 6 hours of one on one training. Here is the website. www.cmntv.org/training.html
    I figured I could do this, and then learn the rest of Pro on my own.

And last of all is my cheapest option to learn my self. I could use the final cut pro tutorial dvd's offered on apples website. And I found this link to a great video tutorial on FCExpress online. http://www.izzyvideo.com/learn-final-cut-express/

So my question to you, what is my best choice? If I had to I could finance the $3000, but of course I'd like to do a cheaper option if its just as good or close. Is it feasible that I can learn all of final cut pro through book and video tutorials? Or maybe learn all about FCExpess from that studio and then try to learn the rest of FCP on my own??? How did you guys learn it?

THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking the time to reply. I'm in a desperate need for good opinions and I only have 24 hours to decide.

Thanks again in advance!

Paul

2. neonkru macrumors regular

here's what i did:

learned final cut express 4 from this free video tutorial:

http://www.izzyvideo.com/learn-final-cut-express/

then practice a lot. i still didn't move to final cut pro but if you learn everything in there i guess you could go and pratice in final cut pro

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The manual, which might be a problem with FCS 3 as it does not come in printed form with the purchase anymore.

Also www.lynda.com has quite good and highly recommended video tutorials.

If you gonna spend much money, be sure to get a certificate for that.

4. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Self Taught

How soon do you need to learn? I had taken a class in high school that dealt with FCE, then self taught myself years later FCP. It is a slow process, but I feel it is VERY rewarding to teach yourself programs. In doing os, not only do you expand your knowledge of the software, but you expand your creative abilities and problem solving skills. Believe me, THERE WILL BE PROBLEMS ;)

The way I look at it: With the vast expanse of information available on the internet free of charge, I do not plan on paying for another lesson in anything.

But that is my learning style, yours could be totally different and this could be the worst possible advice!

5. paulyd0021 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Hi guys, thanks for the info. I found that Izzyvideo.com site earlier and I thought it seemed like a great way to learn at least the express version. And Lynda.com looks very promising, I noticed you have to pay for it, do you get to Download the videos to keep on your own computer for future reference?

So far, according to the responses it seems like doing the self taught thing is the way to go. And in some respects I think it would help because I could learn at my own pace, however that might also be a bad thing if you know what i mean ;).

Also I looked up on Apples site that I can get certified with a test regardless of where I was trained. So thats another plus for self training.

I do worry though that a lot of the "short cuts" and tricks that I could learn from a professional editor might be missed in learning on my own. Any opinions about that?

Anyways, you've all been helpful and I hope to keep getting more replies, its great to get feedback from people who've been in my situation before.

Thanks !

6. neonkru macrumors regular

believe me, you will be amazed when you make that izzyvideo tutorial. then i think you're good to go on your own on final cut express. but i use the most possible tutorials because it's a timesaver.

7. snouter macrumors 6502a

I would start out alone with books and tutorials. Figuring stuff out is true learning that sticks with you.

Then if you want to $$$ for some one on one you will get a lot more out of it since you will have better questions and understanding.

8. Cagle macrumors regular

how did it work out for you?

hey, I was just wondering how the final cut learning is going? I too find myself in the same situation; I want to make a living doing editing and have saved up money but have no clue where to go from here.