Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wtf89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
I am hoping someone here can help answer this.

I have a friend who has a Black Macbook in which the CD/DVD/Superdrive has failed. As far as I know the MBook is out of warranty.

She has spotted a Superdrive from a Macbook Pro (unibody) being offered for sale on a web-forum, and asked me if it would be possible for me to install it for her. The superdrive on offer has a manufacture date of Oct 2008.

My question is regarding compatibility issues. If I tell her to purchase it will it be compatible with the Black Macbook she has?

Have done some searching and not been able to find an answer to this question

In theory 'a superdrive is a superdrive' right? Or is it?

I used to repair Macs a few years back so the actual installation should be simple enough but just need to know if there are any superdrive compatibility issues I need to be aware of. I have moved to Linux machines and have not kept in touch with the Mac issues. Any help answering this question would be appreciated, thanks

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Short answer is no...

As far as I know all the unibody MB and MBP use SATA drives - the black MB use ATAPI....

Should be easy enough to get a replacement from eBay surely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.