Help; Black Screen???!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nylonsplash, Jan 31, 2009.

1. nylonsplash macrumors newbie

So I had shut the lid of my alum macbook.
    And when I reopened it. The screen was black.
    The login screen doesn't appear.
    And the little color circle thing, just continues to spin.

Anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. nylonsplash thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!
    So you mean to just hold down the power button?

I've heard that's bad for macbooks. I have no idea if that's true.
    But seeing as this is my first laptop, and my first Mac. I don't want to screw anything up. :)

3. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

If you had something important that was running before you closed the lid and forgot to save the file, try closing the lid, let it go to sleep and then open it up again.

If you didn't have anything important running, then just restart. And to answer your question, it's bad if you repeatedly keep turning the MacBook off while the hard drive is spinning.

4. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

This has been discussed before in the forums. I don't know if a resolution has been found. It appears you still have internet access so, if you want you can search for the discussions.

I would not make it regular practice to just shut off your Mac. However, sometimes you have too.

5. nylonsplash thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to both of you.
    I just hate thinking that by turning it off I'm possibly going to screw something up.
    I've had another problem with my macbook already where at the login screen my trackpad has decided to stop working for two hours.
    So I'm somewhat stressing right now. But again, thanks for replying.

And yeah, the only reason why I have internet access is because I am on my neighbours desktop PC.