Help - Blackra1n not working on 3Gs

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kated86, Sep 12, 2010.

1. kated86 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have an unlocked and jailbroken 3Gs, so every time the battry dies I have to jailbreak the phone again.This has worked fine for the past 6 months until last night. When I try to run blackra1n it seems to work fine, but then itunes comes up saying it has deytected a phone in recovery mode, and the phone never reboots.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do? I can't turn the phone on, so I can't upgrade or downgrade. I am pretty sure the OS is still version 3.1.2 (or 3.1.3, something like that).

Any advice gratefully recieved, I really need to get this working by tomorrow.
    Kate:confused:

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Assuming you have your SHSH on file, I suggest restoring to 4.0 and using JailbreakMe.com to jailbreak. You will then have an untethered jailbreak and will no longer need the help of a computer to boot your phone. Plus you'll have all the great new features of iOS 4.0.

3. kated86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Do I just do that by clicking restor in itunes? Upgrading to 4.0 sounds appealing, but so far I have avoided doing that as i imagine I will then have to unlock my phone before jailbreaking and don't know how to unlock...

and what is an SHSH file?

4. kated86 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am really stuck. I clicked restore in itunes, but am in the same situation - need to jailbreak.
    It seems the Pwnage tool only works with Macs (I have windows) and Rdsn0w only works with 3G.

Is there any option to jailbreak a 3GS on OS 4.1 using windows?????

thanks

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

There is no way to jailbreak iOS 4.1. That is why I recommended updating to 4.0. To do this, you will have to have saved your SHSH (the signature required to restore your phone to a version of the firmware) by clicking "Make My Life Easier" in Cydia. If you have your 4.0 SHSH on file, you can use TinyUmbrella to retrieve it and simulate the Apple signature server so that you can install 4.0. There are plenty of tutorials here and on the Web on how to restore using saved SHSHs.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, you dont click restore in itunes.
    You should read and learn a little before you do something that not reversible like that.
    Now you're stuck on 4.1 with no JB or unlock.
    Good job.

7. kated86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but this advice is not very helpful.
    Firstly, I couldn't save anything, or choose whioch version to upgrade to, or use cydia or jalibreakme etc etc, because I could not turn my iphone on.

The original problem is that blackra1n would not work after the battery went flat.

Secondly, I did plenty of internet searches about jailbreaking OS 4.1, and found plenty of instructions on how to do it, but they all seem to rely on Pwnage, which does not seem to download to windows.

I refuse to believe it is irreversible to jailbreak OS 4.1, so if anyone knows how would be grateful for the advice.

Thanks, Kate

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It is irreversible Kate.
    You might not like it or think my advice is not helpful but it's the truth wether u like to hear it or not.
    Sorry you cannot unlock it now or for at least till a new unlock is out. If u have shshs u might be able to downgrade in order to jb but u can never downgrade the baseband on a 3GS.
    Before you go any further and try anything u need alot more research and knowledge on the subject.

9. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Kate, I am going to break this to you as gently as possible. You are in a very bad position right now, there is no jailbreak for 4.1 but there will almost certainly be one in the next couple of months. However, the bigger problem you have is the upgrade to 4.1 also upgraded the baseband on your phone and not only is there no unlock but we are not expecting one any time in the near future. Your best option right now is to get a cheap phone to use with your SIM card and wait for a JB and hope an unlock is developed for the new baseband. You will be wasting your time and money if you try any of the unlock shops, they will promise you everything you want but only take your money and deliver nothing.

10. kated86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm, I have another phone, I can wait.

So I guess the reason I cannot follow these instructions is the baseband upgrade, NOT the 4.1 upgrade.

http://www.crispytech.com/2010/09/10/jailbreak-iphone-3gs-4-1-ios-with-pwnagetool-unofficail/

Just for the record, I think it was bad advice of thelatinist to suggest a complicated upgrade to OS 4, which involved preserving the baseband when the original problem I posted was that I could not turn my phone on, not that I wanted to upgrade.

Once you can't turn your phone on, all that complicated trickery is not possible, and I was only looking for a solution to blackra1n inexplicably ceasing to work.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thelatinist doesn't give bad advice when it comes to jb, unlocking etc.
    He knows his stuff very very well, you don't.
    But again you don't have to take anyones advice, figure out yourself. Research and learn how jb, unlocking and the whole iPhone hacking in general works.

12. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Kate, The instructions the Latinist gave you were valid. You did not investigate what SHSH files were and how to restore correctly if you have SHSH files. You just went ahead and did a standard upgrade which is why you ended up with 4.1. The link to the Web site you posted is an unofficial upgrade path but even so you would not have qualified because there are lots of pre-requisites like 1. Old bootrom 2. Previously jailbroken on 3.1.2 .

13. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Kate, I do not give bad advice. Had you done what I suggested and upgraded to iOS 4.0, you would have been able to jailbreak in a matter of seconds without any issue. Blackra1n is an obsolete jailbreak; it is much better to use JailbreakMe.com. It is not true that one cannot do an upgrade with saved SHSH when their phone won't boot; one can always restore or upgrade to any version of the OS for which s/he has saved SHSH. I should also point out that in any case you needed to restore the OS on your phone, and restoring 3.x is quite as complicated as upgrading to 4.0 using saved SHSH.

Finally, it is not my fault that you did not read carefully and upgraded to iOS 4.1 instead of 4.0. I clearly stated 4.0 in my post. If you did not know if you had SHSH saved or were uncertain how to upgrade to a version other than 4.1, you should have asked for clarification and waited for a response instead of going ahead and clicking buttons.

14. kated86 thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't mean it when I said 'bad advice,' more along the lines of not the best advice given the problem I was trying to resolve.

Thanks all for attempting to help, and I should have indeed been aware of the difference between 4 and 4.1

15. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

What better advice do you think I should have given? I can assure you that In any case you had to restore your phone, and restoring to 4.0 and using JailbreakMe is a no more complicated - and far better - solution than restoring to 3.x and using BlackRa1n.

It seems to me that the problem was not my failure to give you the best advice, but your failure to follow it. But if you can suggest some better advice, I would be glad to learn it.