Help. Blocked website on my Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JCSantos, Sep 6, 2009.

1. JCSantos macrumors newbie

So, no matter what connection I'm using (work or home) cracked.com is blocked. I imagine it's a DNS settings issue???

I honestly don't know how it got blocked or how to unblock it but I'd like to know so that in the future, I can fix this if it happens again.

Any other computer at work can reach cracked.com but my macbook cannot. Again, it is also blocked at home.

Any thoughts?

2. LTX macrumors regular

LTX

Anyway, what exactly happens when you try to access Cracked? Can you give us a screenshot?

Are you using LittleSnitch or any other firewall?

3. HBOC macrumors 68020

yes, screenshoots would be wonderful, also; what browser are you using? I was able to access it in Safari 4. I would try this in mozilla, opera and safari and see if it is still blocked..

4. JCSantos thread starter macrumors newbie

It's the basic message:

Safari can’t connect to the server.
    Safari can’t open the page “http://www.cracked.com/” because Safari can’t connect to the server “www.cracked.com”.

Same thing with Firefox.

Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at cracked.com.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
    moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

5. LTX macrumors regular

LTX

Also check the hosts file (in /private/etc/hosts if you know how to use the terminal).

6. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

working fine in england, though there might be something up with the website with the following message

[​IMG]

7. JCSantos thread starter macrumors newbie

8. LTX macrumors regular

LTX

Open up Terminal (Spotlight --> terminal or Applications --> Utilities --> Terminal) and type the following, exactly:

Code:
    /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit /etc/hosts

There is a space after the word "TextEdit".

See if there is any reference to cracked.com in there. If not, quit TextEdit and Terminal.

9. Lokrado macrumors regular

easy

this is easy, set your router to use www.opendns.com all you need is the ip adresses inserted into your routers dns server of choise, and you unlocked to everything, including www.thepiratebay.org
    its a block in effect by you ISP so you have to bypass their DNS server :)

10. gbussi macrumors newbie

gbussi

Site blocked

I have the exact same issue with a brand new MacBook. Wouldn't you know it has to be a site I need to finish some work... I have never seen such a thing. This is the only site that won't work.

The site is where I install printers that I want to use that are on the network (printers.portlandschools.org) See for yourself. Anyone and their dog seems to be able to access the site, but me. I have an identical laptop that connects to it fine (so I printed my work from there), but my MacBook won't do it. I tried the command in Terminal provided here and it still doesn't work. I deleted preferences for firefox. I updated to the latest version of firefox. I tried Safari. I tried an Ethernet cable instead of the airport. I tried logging in as admin. Nothing seems to fix it. I have no firewall.

Anyone, please help! I can't figure this out.