Help: Bluetooth Mouse and KB Connectivity Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by j3tang, Sep 27, 2007.

1. j3tang macrumors regular

I'm not exactly sure why, but my apple wireless keyboard (previous version; white) and mouse (single button) does not want to work with my G4 iMac.

Both devices work fine on my Macbook.

on my G4 iMac, I do not have a built in bluetooth module, so i found a bluetooth dongle lying around at home and plugged it in. It instantly recognized the dongle.

While pairing the devices, it stalls on "connection established" and doesn't move forward.

When i go looking under "bluetooth devices" in the "system prefs", both devices are listed and for each, says:

Paired: Yes
    Configured: Yes
    Favorite: Yes
    Connected: Yes

however neither the keyboard nor the mouse actually works.

I'm thinking it might be the bluetooth dongle that's not "compatible" ?
    It's a no-named brand, so would purchasing a D-Link one remedy the problem? Or are there other recommendations?

Thanks for any help I can get :)

2. j3tang thread starter macrumors regular

before i go ahead and take the plunge to order a new bluetooth dongle, i gave my current dongle one last attempt.

Just to update a bit about the details of the pairing process:

1. When i choose "use empty pass-key" the pairing process stalls and does nothing.

2. When I choose to "generate random pass-key", the pairing process is waiting for me "Please type the following passkey on the keyboard you are setting up, followed by the Return key" and they give me a random 8-digit number. Is this not rather odd? How do i key in this "input" to the computer if the keyboard isn't already paired? I don't believe it asked me to do this on my macbook.

3. When I choose to not use a passkey, it goes through the pairing process and says the keyboard is paired and is ready to use (even though it's not paired and not ready to be used -_-")