HELP! bootcamp and installing Winows on replacement Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by killerbee79, Aug 30, 2008.

1. killerbee79 macrumors member

I betting someone on these forums has run into this before. Please tell me what you did and how you resolved this.

Here is the situation. I previously had a Macbook Pro and sold that and got a 24 inch iMac. (I no longer needed portable Mac and wanted a bigger screen). So i went to install bootcamp and Windows XP like i did on my MBP, using the same copy of windows. I thought no harm no foul there.

Well apparently it spit an error at me when i tried to activate Windows. I guess i can't use that product key on my new iMac. Anyone else run into this? There is no way in HELL i'm buying another license to use this copy of Windows on my new iMac. I could see if I still had my MBP as i would have 2 machines running it.

Have others had to buy a new product key (license) when doing this?

I use Windows for gaming only by the way. And so i can use my VectorVest also.

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Just call MS and tell them you've undergone a major hardware revision or that you've gotten a different machine and, after uninstalling XP off the old machine, that they need to issue you a new CD-Key or reset your activation count.

3. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

When it offers the option of phone activation try that, if it fails or doesn't offer that option, call the number and explain what happened. They will usually talk you through activating again.

Cheers,

4. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

That is only if you have a RETAIL version of XP. If you have an OEM copy, you are SOL as it is forever tied to the machine it was originally installed on.

5. killerbee79 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have gotten my resolution form another poster in the iMac section of the forums.

There was a part in the activation screen where you had to click "telephone". Then it gave you a code. you enter that code to the automated telephone system, it asks you how many PC's you are running that particular windows on.....you of course say 1. It then spits out another code you enter into the activation window (it sits there and waits for you to enter the code). And prestooooo... my windows is now activated free and clear.

Problem resolved. Again, thank you all for your responses! :D

(a side note: this was a retail version i bought on its own when i first got my MBP)