Help! Both Mouse Buttons Are Right-click

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Meyvn, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Meyvn macrumors 6502

Hi. So I just installed USB Overdrive on my 10.6.1 iMac 2.66, and one of the buttons was conflicting; I thought it might be an issue with Apple's official mouse & keyboard prefs. So I went in, and I accidentally switched the right click/left click, and now I cannot click on ANYTHING because both buttons are right-click. I tried restarting in the hopes that USB Overdrive would override the system prefs, but no dice. Could someone help? Is there any way I can manipulate system prefs without the use of clicking? Thanks!

edit: I also tried hooking up another mouse to no avail, and sticky keys are off.

2. Meyvn thread starter macrumors 6502

Got it fixed! All I had to do was go to the system prefs, right click the USB Overdrive preference pane and click remove, then restart the computer. now it's back to the OS X-only based driver, and I can switch the buttons back to what they were. phew.

3. Ann P macrumors 68020

Congrats! I read this and had no idea how to help you. Glad you found the solution. :)

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

That's a rather amusing situation. Glad it worked out. Carefully pressing tab and the space bar will pretty much let you use the computer without a mouse at all.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yeah, it's clever (and lucky) that you were able to get there without the left mouse button. I was just going to suggest going through Terminal.

That normally wouldn't get you far in System Preferences, but ^F7 changes the keyboard select mode to allow you to interact with interface elements using tab, arrow keys, and return/spacebar. Useful shortcut for everyone to know in case of mouse failure.

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Too lazy to mention that that pref had to be set in the first place. But on all machines that I use have to have that setting on or it drives me nuts.

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution