Help. Bought Macbook before free ipods

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jman240, May 28, 2009.

1. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Okay, so I bought my Macbook uni on the 17th of this month which definitely falls within the 14 days before promotion. It was bought with an education discount but I bought it at an Apple retail store. I've heard about people getting a free ipod in the mail now when they bought theirs through the online apple store but since I bought mine in the retail store they wont mail me a free ipod. I called the apple retail store and they told me I would have to return it for 10 percent restocking fee and then rebuy it. Thats over $150 since i bought the 1600 (1500) dollar 2.4 macbook.. This doesnt seem worth it for a 230 dollar ipod.

Anyone have an ideas on how I can get around this. I would really like to get one of those education ipod deals since they are free.

Thanks in advance.

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Try talking to them in person. Be really nice. I think my sister had a similar problem and she somehow managed to convince them to let her do it.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You don't really need to get around anything. I think if you ask they'll give you the iPod.

4. Chris 123 macrumors regular

Chris 123

The same thing happened to me a year ago. I didn't do anything but should have. I'm sure they will do something tho.

5. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

Laws vary by state. I know in Texas you legally have 7 days. Obviously it was a sales promotion to sell and you bought, but if they want to keep you as a customer long term, they might give you one.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Take your computer with the box to the store; bring your receipt; tell them you want to process a return and rebuy the same computer (be nice ask that they process the first return as unopened).

When rebuying the same computer, get an iPod. Now they are both on the same receipt. Reap benefit.

7. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Yeah, I see no reason why they wouldn't let you get the ipod. The sales people at Apple stores always tend to be super nice and understanding (unlike the evil geniuses).

8. theARNSKI macrumors regular

Can this only be done if bought through the Apple Store or online Apple store?

I bought my macbook on Sunday, just a couple days early of the promo, but I bought it at Best Buy in my area (it's closer than the nearest Apple Store).

9. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

Isn't the free iPod operation a mail-in-rebate? I'm just saying because I wanted to get that back to school promotion, but I think, in my personal scenario, it doesn't make much sense (a mail in rebate), I actually expected it to be an upfront discount...

10. jman240 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes it is a rebate. The apple website has the details and form you need to fill out I think.

I'm probably just not going to bother with it at this point. I already have an iPhone and I was just going to give the iPod away to a family member out of kindness anyway. I guess they are the one loosing out in my case.

thanks to everyone who responded.

11. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Is your sister hot? That usually helps.

Anyhow, it's my understanding that if you return it within the 14 day window, there is no restocking fee. I could be wrong. I'd call 1800APLCARE. I have learned to never talk to a "genius" about anything like this. They are so condescending. Have you ever seen "High Fidelity"? They remind me of when Barry won't sell that nerd the album because he just isn't cool enough. forget about the "genius". Call 1800APLCARE and explain the situation. They'll take care of you.

12. theARNSKI macrumors regular

Would anyone be able to answer my situation?

13. tuinte macrumors member

The promotion is only through Apple Retail Stores or the Apple Online Store. You would have to return the computer to Best Buy (and likely have to pay the restocking fee), and then re-buy through Apple directly.

M.

14. mrj205 macrumors regular

I doubt it....

The back to school promo only applies at apple retail stores and the online apple store. It does not apply for authorized resellers.

Since Best Buy is an authorized reseller, I highly doubt you can get the free (mail in rebate) iPod. Best Buy is good about matching deals and prices, but I have never seem them honor a buy one get one type of offer.

If you can return it to Best Buy without restocking, etc.; then take that route. Then you can repurchase online through apple and get the iPod, even through you'll have to wait a few days.

Hope this helps.

15. theARNSKI macrumors regular

Ahhhh thank you very much for your help, mrj205 and tuinte.

Oh well, can't be too bummed about it. :D

Really enjoying my macbook x]

16. nick42983 macrumors 6502

nick42983

I also bought my 2.4GHz on Sunday, however it was at a campus store. I called them about qualifying for the promo and was told the cutoff for qualifying was Thursday the 20th. I had to come in, bring my first laptop receipt, buy a 2nd laptop so that the promo was on the same receipt and then immediately return the laptop, keeping the promo. This may have been possible because the campus stores have a closer relationship with apple so best buy may be different. I would definitely recommend trying if you bought a mac recently, before the promo started.

17. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

The same thing happened to me, I brought mine on the 16th, I call my Apple store, asked the what I could do. The guy was very nice, all I had to do was take in my receipt and they just returned the Mac, then I repurchased it alone with the iPod Touch. It worked out really well, because also got the rebate for the free printer from the first time I brought it. I already have a iPhone, so I just gave the touch to my daughter. I would call and talk to someone if I was you, never hurts to try.