Help! Brand new 17" uMBP display lines/flickering/FAIL!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 30, 2009.

1. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

So I have a new 17" uMBP that I've owned for just a few days. I noticed yesterday that while I watching a video that i had strange green/red lines (horizontal) appear across the screen and flash/flicker. I freaked out and closed the lid, putting the unit into sleep, and opened it again and it all stopped.

Today, I was using it again as usual, on firefox/etc. when it started happening again. Horizontal lines across the screen, the entire display flickering and screwing up and finally going black. I don't know what's going on, but I know this definitely isn't supposed to happen. I took a screenshot during the flickering/lines/etc but the screenshot came out perfectly fine unfortunately. I'll try and get it on camera next time.

I have all software updates installed. I tried resetting PRAM. The flickering I'm talking about isn't minor, it's actually absolutely horrendous and the computer is completely unusable when it's going on. It ultimately leads to a black screen.

Anyway, this is all on the 9400, and I have no idea what's going on but I definitely know this isn't supposed to happen. Can anyone help?

UPDATE: I booted into Windows via bootcamp and it STILL happens. I also connected it to an external display(which works perfect), which leads me to believe that it's 100% a hardware issue. I'm taking it back to the apple store, enough said. This is my first Mac and I can say I'm definitely not happy to be having such issues with a $2500 machine.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Take it to the Apple Store for evaluation

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Why do you guys come here and create these posts when you just bought the machine. You know it's acting way abnormally. Take it back. Nuff said. ;)

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I'm all for chiding people for moronic questions whenever it's warranted, and sometimes even when it's not. :D But every so often, there are simple DIY fixes for stuff like this that save people a trip to the genius bar. Probably not the case here, but...just sayin.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It is kinda like going on the Ford discussion board and saying:

I bought a brand new truck 2 days ago and the headlights don't work
    What do you guys think I should do?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

right but sometimes the answer will be "if you have an F150 made in 2009, they forgot to take the caps off the wires...open the hood and remove the caps. done." or whatever...you get the point.

ps. Dawg, can you plz put your woof woof in your sig prefs, not directly in your posts? everyone who quotes you quotes the paw prints.

7. jgo78 macrumors 6502

you shouldnt be buying Fords anyway.

8. cababah macrumors 68000

I tried an ECU reset and the headlights still won't work which leads me to believe it is a mechanical issue.

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

But to not knock the OP too much - such posts can help show early numbers of problems with a new model. The OP has found a solution quick enough, and we can add +1 to our sense of proportion of new MBP owners with a pretty immediate issue with their screen/graphics.
    See kernel panic thread, HD 7200rpm thread etc.

10. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

11. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

I love how people act like Mac's are bulletproof. I hate to tell you but there are some Ferrari owner's that get brand new Ferrari's that act up. It happens, yeah it sucks but it does happen. Take it in, its under warranty. Yes, even $2500 machines can have hiccups from time to time. :rolleyes:

12. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Are you certain that LED screens have inverters?

13. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

so you're saying LED screens run off DC power?

14. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

That would be the case....

BTW - LEDs can run off AC current - but the electrical design needs to compensate for the "off" part of the AC cycle.

15. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

gotcha

it's funny because when I used to repair laptops, 99% of the time when I found flicker, it was an inverter problem

so I saw the word flicker and automatically thought bad inverter

16. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Truth be known - I don't know what design Apple is using - just guessing that it is DC. I've read that if dc current is too low there is a pulse amplifier design that allows dc from the battery to get boosted to properly power the leds.