Help!!! broken Macbook.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by crimsonflam3s, Oct 9, 2011.

1. crimsonflam3s macrumors newbie

Ok guys the issue here is that I found this 2006 macbook abandoned in an apartment while working, and I tried to fix it but it has some issues.

The first issue is that when I booted it up, the macbook froze on the desktop and it wouldn't do anything no matter what I tried so I thought it was corrupted and I formated the hdd in my windows laptop.

The problem is that I tried putting the old os tiger 10.4 but whenever I put the cd on it nothing happens and its not an original cd:rolleyes: I spent like 50 bucks for a new keyboard, and charger since the old one didn't work (maybe thats why it was frozen:( but I Im pretty sure the hdd was corrupted) so I dont want to put more lots of money on it.

I tried putting windows xp on the old hdd and it works on my laptop, but on the macbook it says that an error has occurred and the the blue screen of death... I even tried my laptops hdd but it goes into some recovery mode or something.

Is there any way I can fix the macbook using my laptop since I dont even know if the dvd drive is working, maybe install tiger 10.4 in my laptop using the mac's hdd and then putting it into a mac? or should I try to sell it since what I basically want to do is fix it or sell it broken, but I know people pay more when it works;) how much would the value be working or nonworking?

Thanks for your help:D

2. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

Have you tried to do a chkdsk in windows to see if there are any bad clusters in the hard drive. If it's 2006 I bet you that the battery is probably on its last leg. Probably not worth the cost to fix it. You might get at the most like $200 for it when it's working.

3. crimsonflam3s thread starter macrumors newbie

Well windows didn't recognize the hdd at first and after messing around with the settings I somehow got the hdd to be recognized and then I formatted it. I even tried another hdd and put xp on it but the mac always restarts no matter what. Once it worked, but the keyboard wasn't working yet and the other hdd I put on it had a problem with windows activation key.

My laptops hdd says there was an error and it tries to fix some stuff it, but it takes forever:(... I think the battery is newer since it doesnt look that beat up and it lasts quite some time when I was trying to boot windows. could I somehow install mac os x on my laptop and then put the hdd on it, or should I just sell it hoping that I get some good money on it, cuz my friend will pay me 120 plus a psp with some issues, but he wants windows on it.

4. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

When you installed windows in your computer, it pretty much set up everything for it. Once you installed the hard drive into the macbook it shows up as a new configuration so it freaks out and gives you the blue screen.
    What you need to do is boot up from the mac itself with the windows dvd. But then you will have some problems because you don't have the drivers that gets created with bootcamp.
    It does sound like the hard drive is bad since you're having issues with it. Try a known good hard drive.

5. crimsonflam3s thread starter macrumors newbie

So all I do is try put a formatted hdd on it and then put the windows installation cd? And what if the dvd drive doesnt work? could I somehow do this in my laptop with drivers and all and then put it in the macbook?:confused: