HELP!!!!!! Broken MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Dingdongggggggg, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Dingdongggggggg macrumors newbie

Hi,

I started up my MacBook this night and got the typical bong but then the apple symbol, file folder with ? on it and a no entry sign started flicking through in rapid succession.

I have read as many forum pages as I could to try and find out what the problem is and it looks like its kernal issues but i dont know what that means.

I did cmd v and got the following error message

efiboot loaded from device: Acpi (PNP0A03,0)/Pci (1FI2)/SATA(0,0)/HD(Part2,Sig551B82C4-2BC8-4077-80E0-4AA25648B060)
    boot file path: \System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
    .Loading kernel cache file ‘System\Library\Caches\com.apple.kernelcaches\kernelcache.E312DF81’
    Loading ‘mach_kernel’...
    Could not open file ‘mach_kernel’
    Error loading kernel ‘mach_kernel’ (0xe)

I have no installation discs and Safe boot isn't working.

Please I am so stressed out !!!!

2. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Be more specific. How old is your mac? Have you done any recent updates/upgrades? What OS X version is it running?

3. Dingdongggggggg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for answering!

I have a 2007 white intel core 2 duo macbook

I was stupidly trying to upgrade from 10.5.8 to 10.6.8 through a combo software download Apple had put on their website. I was just toying around to see if I could bypass buying snow leopard. The download ended and when I tried installing it the Mac crashed and this happened.

4. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Yeah.. you should probably just buy Snow Leopard for $20 off their website.

5. Dingdongggggggg thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Dingdongggggggg thread starter macrumors newbie

7. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Buy snow leopard and try running disk utility from the installer DVD. If it fails, erase and reinstall OS X.

8. Dingdongggggggg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Is spending the extra 20$ the only solution though?

9. WildCard^ macrumors regular

Specifically what upgrade were you getting from Apple that would take you from 10.5.8 to 10.6.8? I did not think there was any upgrade to 10.6 via app store, that it was solely via local install (DVD or USB media).

I ask, because Apple charges $20 for the jump to 10.6, then another $20 for the jump to 10.7, and I think $30 for 10.8.

10. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The Kernel on your computer is hosed. As a result, you need to reinstall OS X. You will need to obtain a copy of Leopard or Snow Leopard on DVD, or purchase Lion, Mountain Lion, or Mavericks and put in on a USB disc and install it. There is no other solution to your problem. You may want to take the computer to a local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Repair Center (or someone locally who knows Apples) and they can help you get everything working again, correctly.

11. Dingdongggggggg thread starter macrumors newbie

@Wild card

I read an article on the interweb telling me how to update from Snow Leopard to Mavericks. (reapptive.com/how-to-install-mavericks-over-leopard/)

I changed SystemVersion.plist to 10.6.7 and attempted to download an apple update that would get me snow leopard, and therefore the mac app store and finally Mavericks. (support.apple.com/kb/DL1400)

And then the above happened.

I guess it'll teach me for messing up with my computer too much... :(

@TEG

I suspected it had something to do with the Kernel.

I have a Genius appointment for Tuesday 5:30 PM ET. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks.

12. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Oh my god. The genius is going to facepalm so hard if you tell him that. You really don't much about the way computers, operating systems, and OS updates if you really thought there was a slight chance of that working. I give you props though, it's creative. A combo update will far from get you a completely new OS, the Mac App Store, etc. It doesn't work like that. Maybe I'm overreacting and others don't feel the same, but I find this extremely funny.

13. Dingdongggggggg thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry if I'm that stupid. Have a little bit of humility. I use windows anyway. I have barely any comprehension of what Mac is. That's why I followed instructions on some website.

Besides, I'm gonna ask the genius for help for the reinstall. I'm not sure exactly what to do...

14. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

1. Your MacBook can't run Mavericks properly. There are no 64-bit drivers for the GMA950 that's in your MacBook.
    2. You need to reinstall OS X. The highest version your MacBook can go to is 10.7.x.
    3. Going to see an Apple Genius is going to cost you unless you bought AppleCare for years.

15. WildCard^ macrumors regular

You sound sorry.

Call your local Apple store. Ask if they have Snow Leopard retail on stock. They won't. They will refer you to apple.com. Tell them you are in a bind and can't wait a week for delivery, and ask if you show them your purchase receipt, will they lend you their DVD. They will ask you to come in.

Buy the DVD from apple.com. Setup a genius bar appt. Show the email receipt to the genius, ask for the DVD. They will very well just take your machine to the bar and wipe old OS/reinstall new off of their rescue drive.

Voila, you are at 10.6.8. Thank the staff for their overgenerous assistance. Do not ever tell them you tried doing what the interwebs above told you to do. I did not check your links, but it appears you attempted to steal/hack the system to update to a version you didn't pay for and your system wasn't compatible with.

16. chrislufc1977 macrumors member

Just get a retail Snow Leopard disc. I ordered one yesterday from eBay (£12.00) and it arrived this morning.

About an hour later I'd erased the hard drive (formally had Leopard) and installed Snow Leopard.

I'm pretty new to Macs and it was much easier and quicker than installing Windows. :cool:

PM me if you need any help from a fellow newbie :)

17. Dingdongggggggg thread starter macrumors newbie

I went to the Genius Bar today and after waiting for ages finally got a Genius. They reinstalled Mac osx whilst keeping my files. Everything looked great but when I logged in tonight there was a message saying : finder quit unexpectedly and the finder app and spotlight were not available... Please help!

18. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Before you left the Apple store you should have made sure that everything was working 100%. Anyway, try this. Tell us how it goes.

19. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

If you're in the NYC area, I can get you up and running in about half an hour...

20. Dingdongggggggg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply pastrychef, but unfortunately that didn't work.

21. MacZach94 macrumors newbie

What happens when you restart? does it show the "Finder quit unexpectedly" right away or later on?

22. WildCard^ macrumors regular

What did the genius do? Wipe the hard drive and put a fresh install of OSX on? or was it some sort of repair of the current install?

If it's a fresh install, then it would be a possible HD fail? But guessing it wasn't a full install.

tl;dr: what fix did genius do?

23. Dingdongggggggg thread starter macrumors newbie

@Mac Zach

Yup, it shows "finder quit unexpectedly immediately after I log on.

@Wild Card

You guessed it. I wanted to keep my data, so they did a repair, where they did not erase the hard drive but instead only Mac OSX which they then re-installed.

So no HD fail. I'm going to the genius bar again on Monday.

24. WildCard^ macrumors regular

I think if you boot off of an Ubuntu Boot CD, you can boot to a desktop with the hard drive mounted. You could plug in a USB flash drive, and backup files.

disclaimer, I've never done this with a macbook, only with windows. I don't see any reason this would not work, unless OSX saves the files in an encrypted format.