HELP! Brother HL-2170W and Mac 10.4 not working well together.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macfficionada, Nov 30, 2008.

1. macfficionada macrumors newbie

So I bought the above referrenced wireless printer. Although it prints beautifully when connected via USB (from both a desktop and laptop) I somehow botched up the wireless set up and can't figure out how to make it work. Please help.

What I did:

1. Inserted CD
    2. Chose HL-2170W
    3. Chose English
    4. Chose to install printer driver
    5. Chose wireless network users
    6. Chose "recommended" install
    7. Chose "step by step install"
    8. Chose "with cable (and attached cable)"

A new window popped up asking me to connect my device and access point and I did so. I then clicked next. It then searched for my device and I received an error -- says it cannot find my device and prompts me to correctly configure my computer and wireless devide according to the quick setup guide.

That's pretty much where I get stuck. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have the wireless modem connected to the printer and connected to a desktop computer and I am trying to make a wireless connection to my powerbook G4.

And please don't refer me to the brother website because that had me running in circles for nearly 4 hours. :confused:

Thanks!

2. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

You could try CUPS. Macs have the Unix utility, CUPS (Common Unix Printing Service) to manage/install your printers. Just cut and past the numbers 127.0.0.1:631 into your browser to access it.

3. liquidfuel macrumors newbie

I just bought the same printer and I just use CUPS.

4. ronniebellie macrumors newbie

Reset the printer and try the install CD again. I had the same problem and with the reset it worked.

Here's the instructions from the CD.

Restoring the network settings to factory default
    If you want to reset the print server back to its default factory settings (resetting all information such as the password and IP address information), please follow these steps:
    Turn off the printer.
    Make sure that the front cover is closed and the power cord is plugged in.
    Hold down the Go button as you turn on the power switch. Keep the Go button pressed down until the Toner, Drum and Error LEDs light up. Release the Go button. Make sure that all the LEDs turn off.
    Press the Go button seven times. Make sure that all the LEDs light up to indicate the print server has been reset to its default settings.

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

The driver that's installed for the HL-2170W is CUPS anyway - the setup instructions are for getting the printer to run wirelessly.

I got that message too, but just tried again without resetting anything. The second or third time it found the printer.

6. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

I didn't even use the software. I used Ethernet, which probably is different, but just connected the printer to my router, opened the Printer section in System Preferences, clicked the "+" sign, and it was right there. I clicked on it and it found the right driver. I only used the CD for Windows. It worked like this on both my iMac and MacBook Pro.