Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrStark117

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
i get redirected to random websites in both firefox and safari, ive tried using clamxav and iantivirus but both found nothing, also mroogled and couldnt find anything. please any help is appreciated, it is starting to get on my nerves. help me rid my mac of this problem once and for all

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
More information is needed.

From what specific website to what other specific websites to you get redirected?

Can you share any links?

What kind of internet connection do you have? Dial-up, university, ... ?

Or try angelwatt's approach, which sounds more logical.

MrStark117

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
thank you

Thank you so much for the speedy replies. Anytime I try to go to the website oncars.com, it redirects me to a blank white web page that still says that the browser is at "oncars.com" but it clearly isn't, because, as previously noted, it takes me to a blank white page that says "weblogsinc.com" at the top right of the page.

This issue happens in both Firefox and Safari, and it disappeared for a while, but then came back : /

MrStark117

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
P.S. tried both suggestions linked above, no dice. some people say they think its a browser hijack, i just cant seem to find the supposed .plist file that is wreaking havoc on my mac.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
If its only on that website its probably not a browser hijack. Browser hijacks usually happen on most, if not all sites you try and visit.

MrStark117

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Hey guys, thanks for all the help, it's greatly appreciated, i got it fixed by clearing everything from the firefox clear history> clear everything. ironically it didnt work the first 5 times i had tried over the weekend.

anyways, thanks again!

MrStark117

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Okay, i swear something else has got to be going on. I just cleared everything from firefox, again, but now everytime i try to access sites such as gizmodo or kotaku it redirects me to an error myspace page, any suggestions?

pasilda

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2010
I actually have the same problem with browser redirect on Chrome & Safari.
I was on facebook, and I was redirected to mapquest. When I was on IMDB, I was redirected to myspace's page does not exist. I cleared the cache, history, everything in both Chrome & Safari. It works for a bit but then I get the same redirect again.
I really don't know what to do about this problem.

jstew3

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
Google / Wellaction / Trojan / Virus / Browser / Redirect / Hijack for Mac

Hey all––

I am on a Mac OS X 10.5.8 and have been plagued with this thing for better than a week now, and there is NOTHING definitive about this beastie out there (for macs anyway). It doesn't show up on ClamXav or MacScan, and resetting your browsers and/or routers didn't do the trick for me.

HOWEVER, after tearing my hair out I deduced that since it sporadically affects other devices in my house, including my iPhone, that it is indeed a ROUTER ISSUE (though the techies at Verizon/Fios were clueless, of course), that's tied into your DNS settings.

Easiest solution?

Use OpenDNS (http://opendns.com), which may very well speed up your browser and add some security anyway. It's free and (relatively) intuitive to install (after opening an account and establishing a network be sure to set your DNS settings to OpenDNS's (System Preferences/Network/Advanced/DNS, then hit the plus sign and add 208.67.222.222, then hit the plus sign again and enter 208.67.220.220, click apply on the main network page and the restart). The getting started FAQ is here: http://www.opendns.com/support/article/251.

Bottom line? After a week of failed attempts at squashing this thing, switching to OpenDNS did the trick immediately.

Hope this helps!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.