Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DbAscent94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
I am currently looking to upgrade and could use some advice on the BTO options. I am looking at getting the new dual 2.0ghz powermac. I primarily use my computer for Photoshop and image browsing. Aperture is not something that interests me at this point. I currently use a 1ghz TiBook which doesn't owe me a penny but is starting to seem slow. What benefit would the 7800 GT card have for me if I dont really play that many games? Does it have a noticeable improvement on graphics programs?

Daedalus256

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
I can't really say that I'd recommend a Mac for a gaming platform. And for your needs, it really seems like upgrading to something like a dual G5 would be overkill.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
How much RAM is in the TiBook? I'm not saying that you should upgrade and continue to use it, but rather just trying to figure out if you really need more proc. power or just a little more ram. How much RAM are you planning on for your new machine? I'm no graphics expert, but I don't believe upgrading the graphics card would help too much in your situation unless you are running multiple monitors or something like that.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
I would also say the 7800 is a bit of overkill, especially if you don't play games a lot. Take the 6600 with 256 MB ram and spend the couple hundreds saved on the 2.3 instead of the 2.0. Also a bluetooth module is always usefull, then you also get an airport extreme. Always nice to connect to your old powerbook. Furthermore Ram is the most important. Get over 1 GB, the more you get, the faster os X and your G5 will go. I currently have 1,5 GB in my dual 1.8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.