Help burning a DVD on iMac from iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kenzembo1, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Kenzembo1 macrumors 6502

Hey, I apologize in advance (this is my first post)--I'm a total newb when it comes to macs...I just recently purchased an iMac and bought a movie from iTunes to watch on my iPhone when on vacation. There may already be a similar thread, but I simply would like to know how to burn the movie that I purchased (on iTunes) onto a disc so that I could put it into a standard DVD player. I was reading through the threads and I gather that you have to use iDVD in correlation with a program called "Handbrake" (never heard of this before)...is this true or do I need to purchase or download some kind of software in order to burn DVD's?
    I would greatly appreciate any help/advice you can provide.

*Note- Please dumb it down as I never used the iDVD software before and I'm not the most computer-friendly person (ie. computer illiterate lol)...listing steps would be a great help! :)

2. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

Sorry you can't :(
    Movies purchased from iTunes have DRM and you can't burn it to DVD and play it in a standard DVD player.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Unfortunately, this is not possible, due to the Digital Rights Management (DRM) encoded into videos purchased through iTunes.

The process you refer to (involving Handbrake) would apply to the opposite process: copying a DVD movie into iTunes.

4. Kenzembo1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the heads up guys...I had a feeling Apple had some kind of protection rights that wouldn't allow you to burn DVD's this way (figures)..
    I just thought it would be more convenient to purchase movies digitally so that I can organize & access them on my iMac whenever and not have to worry about loosing the physical copy of the movie-- then I could back them up and burn them if I wanted the physical copy to take over to a friends & watch..bummer :(

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It's worth noting that you can backup the movie file, just like you would any other file, but you cannot watch it on a DVD player, and will only be able to watch it on computers authorized with your iTunes account.

It's always a good idea to have a backup.