help burning dvd

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maiasmac, May 28, 2008.

1. maiasmac macrumors newbie

so i am a pc user but got rid of it and am using my girlfriends mac, i am trying to burn avi files and or mpeg files to dvd format to play in my dvd player, burning the files from an external hard drive, i have tried idvd and idvdhd or w/e it is but am having no luck so thought i would go on a forum to see if i have any luck, does anyone know how i can do this?

2. Jaschr macrumors member

Why can't you use iDVD again? Can you explain a little bit more?

3. metalray@mac.co macrumors member

metalray@mac.co

Are you trying to make it readable by DVD players or do you want to just make a dvd data disk?

(sorry I found that you mentioned that)

However, You can either use imovie <if you are useing iLife 06 -or- you can use garageband <if you are using iLife08.

With garage band:
    1) Put movie clips into the movies folder directory (double click "macintosh hard disk" then "movies" in the finder.
    2) open garage band
    3) click on the media icon in the lower right
    4) click on movies
    5) navigate to your file(s) and move them to your setion (drag them to the timeline)
    6) if you want multiple movies mention it
    7) click "share" on the menu bar then "move to idvd"
    8) from there it should be a breece

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You could also give DVD Creator a try. There are probably free programs for this but I can not think of any at the moment.

MovieGate
    may also work but the homepage is in French. I do not know if the program is as well.

5. maiasmac thread starter macrumors newbie

i want to make it readable in a dvd player, i couldnt figure out how to work idvd thats why lol, i tried the guides on the mac but didnt have any luck so thought it would be easier to come on here and ask people how to do it

6. maiasmac thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks metalray ill try that and see if i can get it

7. CliffHanger macrumors newbie

Toast is a great program for this. But if you are looking for a free alternative, Burn is pretty good, but it doesn't do menus.

8. maiasmac thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, the burn worked good, only bad thing is once i went to make a dvd i realized she didnt have a dvd burner just a cd burner lol, but it has on it idvd so we just thought it had a dvd burner, bad assumination lol oh well