help burning DVD's with iDVD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slineaudi, Dec 12, 2009.

1. slineaudi macrumors member

Hi all,

I have a 700Mb movie that I want to burn to a DVD to be played in a DVD player. So, I opened iDVD and imported it but it says the file it too big for a dvd!?! iDVD says I need over 5Gb's of free space to burn but there is only 4.7gb's!

Help! What's going on? Thanks!

2. slineaudi thread starter macrumors member

ugh... I think i figured it out and it has to do with the file being converted to another format...

3. gerabbi macrumors regular

Use a Dual layer DVD it's +/- 8 GB.

4. slineaudi thread starter macrumors member

yeah... but my dvd player is only single layer :(

But i found this app called Burn and converted the file and burned it with no problem. idvd said it needed over 5gb and Burn only need 3gb. Burn is also free!

5. Lin-Lin macrumors newbie

OMG, thank you for this post, because I've been having such a difficult time trying to find a dvd burner that works. I barely got a mac like 2 months ago and it's taking me this long to find this post. Burn downloaded so fast and was so quick. Idvd sucks. no matter how many times I went through all Idvd files and made sure I had made the right file conversion it still told me my dvd didn't have enough space. I had a 4.7GB and the size was 4.2GB...

It was driving me crazy! lol

Not to mention I got the new OS X LION so it's been even harder to find something compatible...

Burn works!