Help, Buy iMac or use my MB + ACD??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shoulin333, Jan 29, 2008.

1. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

Well i sold my desktop pc and want to get a desktop mac setup.

i have a new BlackBook and this thing is awesome.

At first i was thinking of buying a 23" ACD + the mini dvi to dvi adapter, and a bluetooth keyboard and mouse set. i wont be playing games so the x3100 will be fine seeing how photoshop uses the cpu not gpu... so this is my question

I am concerned since i will be disconnecting the MB everyday to take it to class, will i risk "Wearing out" or breaking the miniDVI port?

My alternative is spending a little bit more to get an iMac 24" 2.4ghz.

What would you do?

2. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Spend the extra and get the iMac, then enjoy two computers! :D

3. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I'd have to recommend buying an external display, and not necessarily an Apple Cinema Display. I mean, you can get virtually any other 24" display (MacBooks support up to 24", right?) for hundreds less than a retail 23" Apple Cinema Display.

There might be some merit in "investing" in two machines by getting the iMac for more or less the same amount of money (assuming you do otherwise pay for the ACD), but when you break it down, the whole motivation behind this purchase is getting the desktop experience, so the best avenue to that experience is simply buying a good external display. Also, it's the simplest because you don't have to worry at all about keeping two machines synced. If you had the iMac AND the MB, you'd probably want the files from one on the other half the time, so just skip the middle man of a second machine. Just be careful when removing the miniDVI and no worries.

Oh, and buy refurbished at all costs.

4. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I have to agree with DMC-12 here. There are really nice Dell and LG monitors out there that are just as good and much cheaper than the ACD.

As for you "wearing out" the miniDVI port, just pull the adapter out with care. Don't rip the thing out when you are in a rush. I've never had problems with any of my laptops wearing out their external display ports. This includes an old iBook G4 from 2002.

5. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

I bought an iMac is September which I am now selling. I have ordered a MB and an ACD. I just wish I had done it this way round in the beginning. I will be getting the benefit of portability, desktop experience and all my files in one place (plus on a back up drive)

6. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

From the threads I've read on MacRumors it seems that a lot of people who buy an iMac AND a MacBook / MacBook Pro spend most of their time using their laptops. Think about it, you've already got a 200GB 7200rpm HDD in your MB which means that the only REAL advantage of the iMac is the better graphics card. As you're not gonna be playing games then your choice is simple.

Not only that but the general consensus is that the 23" ACD is a better quality display than the 24" iMac and of course isn't glossy! I know people have recommended getting a non-Apple branded display to save money but personally I think the ACD looks gorgeous. When used in conjunction with the aluminium keyboard and white mouse you'll end up with a stylish looking setup!

Also like people have said it IS a pain having to keep two computers synchronised and the money you'd save by buying an external monitor rather than the 24" iMac you could put towards an external hard disk drive for backup and spend the rest on software or even an iPod!

Cheers :)

7. shoulin333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

man i am really hung up...

my heart tells me to buy the iMac , my head is telling me to buy the ACD/good lcd...

i guess maybe i can buy the monitor, and then if i don't like plugging/unplugging, i can buy a mac mini to hook to it (if they update it)

hrmmm that imac looks soo sexy though

8. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

But you have to remember that getting the iMac is essentially getting laptop parts in an aluminum casing with a less-than-optimal screen attached. Since you already have the laptop, there's really no reason to pay for more laptop parts in the form of an iMac, regardless of how sexy it looks. And the Mac mini would be redundant as it would essentially be a compact, underpowered version of your MacBook that would just happen to be more often attached to the external display.

The MacBook + display is the most efficient and economical means to the end you seek.

9. shoulin333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

damn, if the MB had a docking station...

i would be set...

my problem isn't the two machines, it is having to hook up

power, video, usb hub, and speakers each time

10. hydrokayak macrumors member

I'm thinking of doing the same thing... as I've fallen in love with my new MacBook. I have it hooked up to my display , a keyboard, mouse, speakers, the power, and ethernet.

It's a lot of cables... I really like the desktop experience, and really like the iMac. I'm against the jumble of cables on the desk... I can only put the MacBook in one place on the desk -- mind you at college, space is limited. I'm thinking that the iMac would be a decent purchase -- as it'd save space, and I wouldn't have to deal with cables...

--Any thoughts?

11. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I don't know, I actually like the idea of being able to just slap on the MagSafe, pop in a speaker jack and video cable, and abracadabra, you've just turned your MacBook into a prime-time desktop workstation. I mean, just keep the desk organized with a spot for the 'Book and it all seems pretty practical to me.

12. barijazz macrumors 6502

Just to throw this out there, all of apple's machines can support all of apple's ACDs. BUT only the MB and the MBP can support the 30" ACD at the fullest resolution (2560 by 1600). I know this because I've done it.

13. barijazz macrumors 6502

Instead of getting a MB and a imac just get a MBP, In fact you'd be getting a more powerful computer for cheaper.:eek:

14. schreck macrumors regular

Are you saying that the most recent iteration of the MacBook with the x3100 graphics can drive the 2560x1600 resolution of the 30" ACD? Last I knew it was only the Mac Pro and MacBook Pro that could drive this device. Even at that, I know that it even strains the 8600 card in the MBP.

15. Zortrium macrumors 6502

I'm guessing barijazz meant to say MP rather than MB, because the regular MacBook can't drive the 30".

16. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

You can do something like what I did here... I built this out of some wood I had laying around... In the picture it isn't stained to match the desk yet, but it is now and looks great I think. I also cut out a portion of the side where I plug everything in.

And for all the USB things, it is easiest to just have a USB hub and plug all the things into that, and then all you have to do is plug in the one USB plug from the hub, magsafe, and mini-DVI...

I have bluetooth mouse and keyboard, so that makes it easy too! My mess of cords is all hidden in the back, and I think it looks pretty good.

Attached Files:

17. smogsy macrumors 6502a

18. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

From the current Mac line-up only Mac Pro and MacBook Pro can drive a 30" display at native resolution.

19. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

I too have a bluetooth mouse and keyboard that I will be using when my MB and ACD arrive.

BTW what webcam do you have there in the pic as I've been looking for one, sorry to digress

20. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Cam is a Logitech QuickCam 9000 I believe, with Carl Weiss glass lens. (It is meant for a laptop, but works great

21. Magnus Reftel macrumors member

I have an original rev A MacBook and have used with my trusty old ASD since I got it. Haven't had any problems.
    It's quite nice actually. When I'm at my desk, I just plug in the power, display, and USB hub connectors, and suddenly my MacBook has become a dual head desktop =)

22. munnstermac macrumors newbie

Go for the imac, its less cluttered and more powerful. Have you thought of using it as a dumb machine and then sync the CPU's over something like .mac. That way you truly have the best of both worlds, not only can you access your mac on the move but you can also sync the displays wirelessly as well. Technology demands that you invest in an imac, I did and I will never look back. :)