Help: Buy new MBP, OR 24" iMac/MB combo?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jonnysods, Jun 19, 2008.

1. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

Hello everyone, I'm wondering if you can help me out at all. I have been given permission to buy a new 17" MBP at work, as I need it for Final Cut, CS3 design work, occasional encoding, also to run XP with Outlook in VMWare. I do most of this work at my office, but I often have to work at home to get things done.

But I'm wondering, with the price of the MBP, compared with the price and specs of the current iMac, would it be a better idea to have a more powerful machine located in my office, and then take a MacBook around with me when I need to do work?

I guess my questions are:

- can I sync the iMac's files with the MacBook so I have it up to date all the time?
    - can I run a license of Final Cut on two machines if they are both mine?
    - would it be worth my time?

Thanks guys.

2. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

ideas and preference

my personal preference would be to have both. there is nothing like sitting in front of a nice large screen, especially for video work, however, portability is also amazing. I would rather have both. however, i think for your needs, you might HAVE to get the MBP, as I do not think the MB supports final cut.
    congrads!

3. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

it is hard to sync two computers without buying software as opposed to freeware/open source software

4. amusiccale macrumors 6502

Another thing to think about: the iMac will have more horsepower than the Macbook Pro, particularly in the graphics arena. This may be important to you--I don't know if your habits/requirements for working from both areas are flexible.

5. macgeek77 macrumors regular

In my opinion, go with the MBP. For the following reasons:

1) The software you are using is can be power-hungry. Sure the iMac and Macbook can handle them, but the MBP would probably handle them the best.

2) Having one machine as opposed to 2 takes care of your syncing problem.

3) Having one machine takes care of your licensing question.

This is only a personal opinion, but I think the 17" MBP is the way to go.

6. pepto macrumors member

Um, the 24 inch iMac is significantly higher specced than a 17 inch MBP-

- 2.8 ghz vs 2.5 ghz processor
    - 7200 rpm vs 5400 rpm hard disk

It might not make a huge difference, but I don't know why 'power hungry' software would be handled better by the MBP.

7. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

If you can afford the 17", Hi Res great. If not, go for both. I have the 20" iMac, and a refurb 2.2 White MB and love it. It's awesome. I got to sit and watch the Celtics take #17 while working on my MB...:D

8. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

How do you find syncing between the two units? Or is that something you don't really bother about?

Thanks for all the advice on this guys, it's so hard! I can get the top of the line iMac for $1999, and then the MacBook 2.4 for $1049, but the MBP costs $2800 (all with EDU pricing).

I guess if I can hold out a little longer, perhaps another month or two, they might refresh the MBP to be more in line with the iMac. It still beats me how the consumer model gets better specs than the pro line!

9. Indohottie macrumors 6502

Indohottie

I have to agree with macgeek... if you want larger screen real estate go with the 15 inch MBP and then get a large external display..

10. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

Well, I decided on buying the iMac 3.06 and the white macbook 2.4 (edu discount with 2 free iPod Touch's!).

I'll use the main rig for my video work at my office, and float/do graphics away from the office with the MacBook. I love the specs of the iMac, and combined with my samsung 24" 1080p LCD they should look great together!

Thanks for the advice!

11. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

i have an iMac and a MB..

i keep my iMac backed up with my Time Machine, and don't really do much important work on my MB - its more for watching movies etc.. linked up to my HDTV and web surfing/email etc..

but occasionally i will edit some pics/video's on my MB and i either copy the files to my iDisk so straight transfer to my iMac... never really had a problem keeping things in sync..

glad you went for the iMac/MB combo.. it really is the best decision (IMO) and hope you enjoy it :)

12. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

Thanks man, I'm really nervous! I have been loving my MBP for a long time now, but the specs of the iMac are a big cut above, and I'm tired of waiting for a MBP refresh. So I went for the screen real estate, faster HDD, better GPU etc. I will miss that matte screen though, I'm not much of a glossy screen kind of guy.

I think I'll leave the Final Cut work for the iMac, any graphics web work can be done on the MB - I just need to make sure I keep things in one folder and copy them back and forth I guess. I don't have iDisk/.mac/.me because I spend my money on a hosted Exchange server for the same yearly fee (which I love!).

I'll post back here when I get them both!