Help Buying a Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by quiksilver253, Mar 4, 2009.

1. quiksilver253 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I was referred here by multiple people who said you all are the most knowledgeable out there.

I'm getting a macbook and just need help deciding on a few components. I will be leaving to go to college next year and my laptop is currently broken. We are going to repair it and use it at my house but it's clear i need a new one and would like it to last for as many years of college as possible. With that in mind, i have decided to get a macbook or a macbook pro.

My main things are
    -Transportability
    -Speed

So theres no way im getting a 17 inch MBP and im not sure if the 15 inch is even too big so i could use some advice on that.

I also listen to music a lot so i want a good speaker system. I know on the old MB the speakers were AWFUL. Have they improved enough on the new MB that it doesnt require me to get a MBP?

I know im going to do 4 GB of ram but i also need to decide what to upgrade the Hard Drive to.

Any Help would be much appreciated!

2. quiksilver253 thread starter macrumors newbie

also, can you give me a cord or something that will help me with file tranfer from my dell to the mac so i do not have to use a pen drive like last time?

3. Zyniker macrumors 6502

For transferring files just hook both computers up to the same network and use the file transfer options in OS X. ;) No need to manually transfer files from the old machine to the new one.

4. Zyniker macrumors 6502

As for hard drive upgrades, if you want speed: Western Digital Scorpio Black. It's easily one of the fastest laptop drives currently on the market. Unless, of course, you want to spend the money on a SSD...

5. quiksilver253 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do not see the "Western Digital Scorpio Black." as an option on the website, i'm only deciding from the ones that mac will put in, i'm not good enough with computers to order one separately and put it in myself

6. quiksilver253 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. desiringGod macrumors regular

Go with a refurb Macbok and buy a set a nice speakers for you room and use headphones while out.

Just search on here for harddrives and you will find tons of opinions.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I know that you said you won't touch the 17" MBP, and broadly speaking, I agree with you. Personally, I have a 15" MBP and have to say that it is the best computer that I have ever had. It combines power, performance, an excellent screen with reasonable portability. The MB - is also a fine computer, especially the new unibody model, but the older models offer stunning value. In the end, it comes down to what your needs are; do you prize power & performance (in which case go for a MBP, and make it a refurb, if finance is an issue), or portability, in which case the MB wins hands down.

Cheers and good luck