Help buying a new imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by duckfan25, Oct 5, 2008.

1. duckfan25 macrumors newbie

After being a life long pc user, I started transitioning to macs last year with the purchase of a mbp. I love it and have vowed to go completely mac once my desktop pc goes toes to the daisies. Well, that time is now, so I am looking at buying an iMac and wanted to some help/suggestions. I am a teacher and coach. I do a lot of video editing (but the $2700 model is out of budget). Not too heavy duty, so far I have been able to everything with imovie (but might look to upgrade to final cut or final cut express with the educators discount). Anyway, I'd appreciate any help in the proper specifications with the imac.

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

All models are fine for you. I'd get the 20" 2.66 GHz because its better per $ than the low-end model.

3. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

what about one of the 24" models in the refurbished sections?

The price makes it all the more attractive, and you get the same 1 year warranty with the option of Apple care.

4. scottintosh macrumors member

I agree refurbished ones are usually a great value.

5. duckfan25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it. I am actually looking at the 24 inch for the video editing. I just am unsure about whether I need to spend the money on the faster speed 2.8 Ghz vs. 3.06 and the difference in the video card (Ati radeon vs. Nvidia GeForce). Also, anything else that I might need to consider in the configuration of the hardware. I'm hoping to get some milage out of this purchase, so I want to make sure that I get it right.

6. G5power macrumors 6502

The difference in processor speed between the 2.8 and the 3.06 is not going to make a lot of difference.

To get the most bang for you buck don't forget that any memory upgrade is much cheaper when you buy 3rd party memory.

7. singhy44 macrumors member

now I know the Oct 14th announcment is meant to be about MacBooks, but I am holding out buying mine until Oct 14, just in case they do something to the iMac, or 'the Brick' (even though it is speculated to be a production technique). It's only just over a week away, and I'm buying mine this month anyway. I don't know how others feel, but I would wait if I were you. Also, if you want a good one, perhaps either a refurb, or the 2.8Ghz model, just with the 8800GS. And some 3rd party RAM should you choose to buy it.:apple::apple:

8. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Fantastic choice mate

I would go iMac for sure,

The size iMac is all on personally preference

If you like big screens and find it better to work on, go 24inch

But money wise i would hit the 20' model

Still a fantastic machine. Recommend you get 2GB or 4GB of ram

Probley 4, but get it third party, cheaper.

I would think about waiting till then too just incase !

Good luck with the purchase my friend!

9. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Nice.
    24 inch

Erm personally i would. Depends on your budget really buddy.

If it was me i probley would

Nvidia is a nice card, but ATi is still a nice card. Not really very good with the cards.

Depends how much video editing your doing, or 3d graphics and stuff. If your doing 3d stuff, the nvidia is the option

x