Help buying a Retina MacBook Pro for college!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FenixStryker, Jul 26, 2014.

  1. FenixStryker macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2014
    #1
    Hi guys, I have to get a new laptop for college next month and I want to get a Retina MacBook Pro. But according to the buyers guide it sounds like I shouldn't? I really need some guidance because my poor MacBook is going to kick the bucket any day now. I'm a Mass Communications student that does a lot with final cut so there really is no getting around buying this thing. :(

    Thanks in advance~
     
  2. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

    AcesHigh87

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2009
    Location:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    #2
    The way I look at it is there will always be something new and better coming around the corner. What I would do in this situation is base the decision on two factors:

    1) Do you like what you see coming with Yosemite? If not, buy one before it launches because you won't be able to go back afterward but at least you can make the decision yourself otherwise.

    2) How long can you realistically wait? If you're worried wait as long as you can and then buy. If it's refreshed, great. If not, it happens. The current rMBP is plenty strong and a great machine.
     
  3. cruisin macrumors 6502a

    cruisin

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2014
    Location:
    Canada
    #3
    I would be surprised if there was a significant update now. The only update is for new Haswell chips, but that only improves the CPU speed by a few percent. The main updates like better graphics will wait until the next CPU from Intel and this will happen next year for sure. So yes it is a bad time to buy if you need the absolute newest model, but realistically it is about midway through a major update.

    There will always be something new, but now is as good a time as any to buy. There will likely be a small update in the next few months, but nothing terribly important.

    Check if Apple offers education pricing for your school or if Apple has a current generation refurbished model in stock. You can usually get a good deal.

    Good luck! :)
     
  4. GreatMightySymp macrumors member

    GreatMightySymp

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    #4
    If there's a spec update, it'll be small (i.e. benchmark increases, but nothing the average user would see).

    Since the new line of chips are delayed till early 2015, if you're getting it sooner rather than later you'll be fine as you'd have to wait another half-year to get the new line of chips.
     
  5. anaqvi786 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2013
    Location:
    At iOS planet
    #5
    I think you might want to bite the bullet on a higher end configured rMBP. This way, even if there is a spec bump (a small one will be likely) your MacBook will still be as fast as the new generation. Also, Apple usually announces new MacBooks in October, so if you can, wait until then. If not, then the current ones are really fast and get a lot of work done.

    Hope this helps.
     
  6. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

    AcesHigh87

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2009
    Location:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    #6
    I guess apple just made your decision easy by upgrading the rMBP haha. Minor spec bump as we assumed but it’s still a refresh which makes this the ideal time to buy.
     
  7. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

    AppleFanatic10

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2010
    Location:
    Encino, CA
    #7
    Sounds like you actually NEED a MacBook now. If I were you, I'd just buy it now and not worry about the latest thing coming out.
     

Share This Page