Help buying a Retina MacBook Pro for college!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FenixStryker, Jul 26, 2014.

1. FenixStryker macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I have to get a new laptop for college next month and I want to get a Retina MacBook Pro. But according to the buyers guide it sounds like I shouldn't? I really need some guidance because my poor MacBook is going to kick the bucket any day now. I'm a Mass Communications student that does a lot with final cut so there really is no getting around buying this thing.

Thanks in advance~

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

whats wrong with it?

3. FenixStryker thread starter macrumors newbie

It's really old like I'm not even sure how this thing is running Mavericks to be perfectly honest with you. I think it came out in 2008 or 2009..Point being is it can't take running final cut, writing papers and playing minecraft.

4. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

There is going to be a New Retina MacBook Pro, but since the delay with the new chipset, they will be coming out in 2015, if you can wait then wait but the current line of MacBook Pro's are plenty fast. Heck, my 2011 13" with upgraded RAM and an SSD is perfect for me still for video and photo editing etc.

5. FenixStryker thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay that makes sense! I can't wait unfortunately, I'm going back for my second year in September so I gotta make a choice now. The only other question I have is if Apple going to give me a hard time if I decide to upgrade when the new Retina MacBook is out.

6. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Realistically, do not expect a new one until either late this year or early next year. You can get a used 2012 model on ebay for $1400, and for cheaper if you are ok with scratches. You can find them for as low as $1200 on craigslist. It will really perform about as well as a 2013 model, and in some tasks it will be better. It is exactly the same externally as the 2013 model. The CPU on the 2013 model is about 3% faster, and the GPU is a little bit slower. It has PCIE flash and AC wifi, those are the two big differences.

Get a used 2012 model, the 2013 models are really not much different unless you get the maxed out version. Plus, the depreciation on a used notebook is a lot better than if you get one new. When a new one comes out, you could sell the 2012 one for a $200 loss at most if you really wanted the new one.

Just something to think about, I would personally just get a 2012 model and stick with it. They are gorgeous machines, and they are reasonably priced for what you get.

Matt

7. FenixStryker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much Matt!! Seriously, I wasn't really thinking that deep into things and I will definitely look into finding one on Ebay! I just want to make sure I get my money's worth because everything is tight these days. Thanks for the help buddy! :)

If you know any good sellers please feel free to let me know, it would make my life a heck of a lot easier. :D