Help buying a used iMac :) please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wangchunggti337, Jun 24, 2007.

1. wangchunggti337 macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

There is a sweet iMac on my local CL. It's a one with the swivel arm, 17", in great condition with box, speakers, keyboard, etc.

It's a 800mhz, 512 ram, SuperDrive.

Does this model have bluetooth or WiFi? If not, can I easily enough buy USB adapters for that?

What is a good price for this computer? It is out of AppleCare.

I am considering getting this for a desktop just to surf the web, keep my music and photos on, type up Word documents, and some photo editing. Will this suite me well? Will I be able to surf most/all websites no problem?

Will I be able to make the jump to Leopard on this machine?

I'm just looking for something to be my 'at home' computer for messing around with.

2. jng macrumors 65816

jng

I think a G4 iMac can certainly fit most of your needs, Word, internet etc. In terms of photo editing, iPhoto really bogs down after a certain number of photos.

It really depends on the price. Do you have any other specs? Specifically when it was made so we can narrow down which G4 model? I wouldn't pay more than a few hundred for that machine though. Wait and see what others say though.

3. wangchunggti337 thread starter macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

Here is the description if that helps:

Multimedia Macintosh
    LIKE NEW 17” MACINTOSH COMPUTER FOR SALE

Perfect for the internet - Itunes - Digital Photos -Movies -E Mail- Small Business- ETC
    Gorgeous 17” LCD MONITOR
    ALL IN ONE SPACE SAVING DESIGN
    800 mghz Speedy G4 processor
    (Compare to 1.2 ghz Pentium)
    512 Ram Harmom Carden Speakers
    OSX 10.3.9 Operating System
    Software includes:
    MS Office Apple Works
    (Word, Excell, Entourage, Powerpoint) (Paint,Draw, Word Processing, Spreadsheet
    IPHOTO – SAFARI – ADDRESS BOOK – ICAL –ITUNES – IMOVIE –IDVD –PREVIEW – MAIL - WorldBook - MUCH MUCH MORE

4. wangchunggti337 thread starter macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

This offer could end soon, so any help would be appreciated.

5. dwl017 macrumors 6502a

dwl017

How much are they asking for the iMac, depending on the asking price you might skip it and find a nice used G5 17" new style iMac in the $600 range. With the price of used G5 iMac's and G5 Power Mac's falling every day I would try to find a low priced G5. Even though your needs are very basic the extra power cant hurt until you are ready for the Intel Mac's

In my opinion non of the older low end G4 units are worth more than $300 or $400 tops considering you can get a used G5 17" iMac in the low $700 range. If the asking price on a low end G4 is in the $400 range I would save my pennies and get a used G5

6. dwl017 macrumors 6502a

dwl017

Check this out in my area which is DC a 17" Intel Imac for $600 the beauty of Craigs List is that some folks list gear to sell when the are late with the rent etc and need emergency cash which makes for some really great deals from time to time.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/sys/357624264.html