HELP:buying an iMac, this or this?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by peteryan7hao, Sep 2, 2008.

1. peteryan7hao macrumors regular

peteryan7hao

I've got a macbook pro, now I wanna sell it and get an iMac (well, long story). anyway, I have two options, one: just buy a brand new iMac 20" maybe the bottom range and plus an extra 1GB ram. Another option is, I've got an offer, for the same price, I could get :

so here I am, decision decision decision.......I sort of wanna get a new iMac, but also wanna have lots of free stuff and bigger screen, oh and the warranty etc.....

Please help me!

2. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

I would go with the 24" iMac. It has an S-iPS monitor panel, much better, than the TN, thas is in the 20".

3. peteryan7hao thread starter macrumors regular

peteryan7hao

But the 24" one is the old white model....

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I second the 24". You're sacrificing speed (that you probably will never even miss) for just about everything else.

5. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I also say go for the 24". Just make sure you get the original receipt or some type of transfer of ownership document. I've heard stories where Apple won't service the machine because they think it's stolen.

6. peteryan7hao thread starter macrumors regular

peteryan7hao

oh you serious?

what if it was a gift from someone?

7. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

If both are options financially (and the seller is legit), would go with the 24", as mentioned, as it has a MUCH better monitor. (Not just screen size, but quality.)

Just as a side note, I'm not sure the latest iMac 24" screens are S-IPS. They used to be, but I thought that when they went to the glossy screen, they changed to a different technology (not sure there are any glossy S-IPS displays.)

Dave

8. thomanjones macrumors regular

Are you sure about this: NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB?

I thought that model only went up to the 256MB 7600GT.

FWIW, I have the same iMac with the 7300/128MB card, and the machine is a beast. I can rip DVDs while playing WoW at 40-50 FPS (most settings at 75% of max), with Entourage running in the background (as well as a half dozen other apps) and VLC playing movies on a second monitor.

Highly recommended. the 24" monitor is >>>>>>>>>>>>> than the 20"

9. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

Get the 24" imac. It may be an old model but it has a better screen and longer warrantee. Besides once you bought it, you got all the accessories you need so you don't need to spend money on that too.

10. Googon macrumors member

Don't waste your money on Apple's RAM upgrade. Do it yourself and save hundreds of dollars. For a 60 dollars you get get 4GB of RAM. (2 x 2k)

11. kalex macrumors 65816