Help buying/formatting a 1tb Fat32 hdd

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gietzy, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Gietzy macrumors newbie

Hi, I am planning on buying a MacBook pro in early April. I know they are due for an upgrade but if it isn't announced in the next 10 days I don't care, I just want a Mac. Anyway, I want a 1tb external hdd that is compatible with my ps3, xp laptop and my soon to be, osx MacBook. As far as I know, fat32 is the only possible file system that will run on all three (ps3 only reads fat32). I can't find one available in the uk. Could you please direct me towards one or give me step by step instructions as to how I could format a 1tb drive into fat32 in osx or xp. I am not opposed to having 4x 250gb partitions. I am a complete noob at macs and know very little about xp so please could any advice be as simple as possible. This is my first ever post so sorry if it is in the wrong place.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Check out the various file systems here: MR Guide: File Systems

You can erase and format the drive using Disk Utility
    You would select MS DOS (FAT)

3. Gietzy thread starter macrumors newbie

So just to make this clear; if I buy a bogg standard 1tb Ntfs or hfs+ external hdd off of amazon, I will be able to format it as a 1tb single partition fat32 hdd using disk utility without any signicant technical know how?

4. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

yeah it's quite easy,

Attached Files:

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, you can use any HDD you can buy to format it with your own choice of a file system.

Here is a guide on how to use Disk Utility.
    http://macs.about.com/od/applications/ss/diskutilformat.htm

6. Gietzy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much. This is a very helpful forum. I'm sure you will see me again when my new Mac arrives.

7. bluskale macrumors regular

doesn't disk utility only format fat16? there was another thread recently with a solution that involved a terminal command to get the fat32 formating...

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It uses FAT32, but it goes down to FAT16 with smaller storage devices as it seems.*