[Help]-Buying my first MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EarthNeutron, Sep 2, 2011.

1. EarthNeutron, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

EarthNeutron macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

Hey, so I'm about to buy my first Mac(yey!). But the thing is that not only a MacBook pro 13 base model costs me 1800$ (I'm from Romania btw), but neither of them come with OS X Lion preinstalled.
    Q :Should I buy a snow leopard one or wait for the new MacBook pro models that may be out in the early 2012?
    Q2: Should I buy a Mac at all? Does it worth it? I'm going to college next year (probably in the UK-computer science) and I just wanna have a computer that gives me no headaches, that doesn't lag at all and so on... I want one that just "works".

I would also like have a single device to sync my Apple products with ( I currently have s Sony Vaio windows 7 and I keep losing my iTunes music for some reason). Apple products that I currently own: iPad 2, iPhone 3Gs, iPhone 3G, iPod nano 3rd gen.

Q3: which is better? Buying a MacBook pro with lion preinstalled or snow leopard and then upgrade for free to lion? Also, does lion have any lag whatsoever?

Q4: will i lose any feaures of Lion if I upgrade instead of getting it preinstalled? Features like recovery hd or stuff like that?

Cheers! :apple:

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Q1 - If you're spending $3k on a 13" MBP, who cares what's pre-installed? Lion is $29.

Q2 - I don't think a 13" MBP is worth $3k.

Q3 - Doesn't matter.

Q4 - You'll lose the factory discs, but it's not a big deal.

Why not just fly to the US and buy a 13" MBP here? Or, better yet have someone bring you one. $2k premium on an already expensive laptop is kinda crazy.

3. Trentolol macrumors member

Trentolol

I would recommend buying your computer in the UK if you go to school there. It will save a crapload of money.

4. monsow macrumors member

3k for a Macbook Pro 13?? You joking homie?? I got mine, 8gb ram 7200rpm 500GB XT, base model Mac for 1500..... No need to spend twice as much for nothing man, btw if its really that expensive in your country, buy it from Apple.com

5. EarthNeutron thread starter macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

Already tried it, but Apple US only delivers to US. The same with Apple UK and so on. The cheapest way to get one would be to buy it from eBay uk, which would cost me around 1500$, but in case my MacBook is faulty/scratched and so on, I won't be able to return in and get a new one+ it comes with a UK power adapter that doesn't work here in Europe, although I could probably get a new one for about 30$ or so.

EDIT: sorry for this, but the MacBook pro 13 base model is acutually 1800$ insead of 3000$. I mistook the currency sorry. Anyway, it's still a lot more expensive than in the US.

6. swedefish macrumors 6502

Just buy one in the UK if you come here for uni. You will get the UK higher education discount, plus you will be able to buy AppleCare really cheaply. As much as I love my 13" MBP, it is in no way worth $1800 for the base model.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Q1: Computer science will not in the near future require anymore power than it does now, and a 13" MBP is plenty powerful for coding. The screen might be a bit cramped but it's nothing an external display can't help.

Q2: Worth is subjective, to me, it is, to you, it might not be.

Q3: Buy it now, you'll get 2 OS'es for the price of one, and if you happen not to like Lion, you can revert back easily. I'd buy now. Some people have trouble with Lion, others don't, so who knows where you'll be.

Q4: No.

8. EarthNeutron thread starter macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

Cool thx for the advice guys. I'm going to buy one next week!