HELP buying new iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by patriotaki, Oct 18, 2016.

1. patriotaki macrumors regular

Hello all,

i found a guy in a local website here in greece that sells 2 iphone 7 plus.
    He said that the company hes working for bought the iphones for him ( my friends was in that situation too they gave him a Note 4 so i believe that)

The guy is based in UK and wants to ship me the iphone with Royal Mail and i will pay him with paypal.

What concerns should i have? He already sent me photos of the package,receipt etc..

How can i see if hes a scammer or not?

also any good IMEI checker website?

PS: i told him to pay the half amount first and when i receive the package to pay the rest ...

any suggestions?

2. Schizoide macrumors member

Schizoide

I wouldn't do it, first of all you have no certainty whether or not he is legit. Second of all you are better off buying the phone in a local Apple store or reseller, since there are so many problems with the iPhone. You can then get a replacement way quicker.

3. patriotaki thread starter macrumors regular

there are no local apple stores here. the prices for iphone are wayy to high.

he send me pictures of receipt from the apple store in london, pictures with the IMEI, and the phone itself in the package. I also asked him to take a picture of the package with a paper and his username written .

The fact that he agreed for me to pay half the price first is a good sign..

4. Schizoide macrumors member

Schizoide

I understand that you want an iPhone 7 Plus asap. But believe me, chances are you will encounter problems, it's a brand new product so problems may occur. If you buy it in a store in Greece you atleast have the ability to return it if it's a faulty one (or has the famous hiss problem).

5. patriotaki thread starter macrumors regular

since its bought from an apple store the warranty is valid for all authentic retailers..right?

6. Schizoide macrumors member

Schizoide

Yes, but you won't get a brand new one since it has not been bought in your local Apple Store. You will get a repair and possibly a refurbished one (used device). So you will never be able to just go in the store and get a brand new one.

7. patriotaki thread starter macrumors regular

i contacted the admin of the site and told him to check his account he told me that he's IP isnt from UK
    and he is using TOR as browser.. so he is a legit scammer

thank god i didnt buy

8. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

It's not that "famous"

9. rainafterthesun macrumors 6502

rainafterthesun

I would have said he was a scammer to begin with because the fact that he agrees to let you only pay half first is not a good sign.

If the roles were reversed, wouldn't you in his shoes, wonder if the buyer is a scammer? If you send the phone what guarantee would you have that you'd get the second half payment and he didn't just make off with it at half price?

10. patriotaki thread starter macrumors regular

yes i see now
    the admin said he never logged in with a UK IP lol
    he was in my country all the time
    and he said to me that he is in London and bought the iphones from apple store