Help buying new macbook pro battery. Please.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cloudlife, Aug 20, 2008.

1. cloudlife macrumors newbie

So I got this battery that dies even when the battery meter (LEDs and meter) registers a charge dies after a few minutes of use. Out of warranty too.... (Apple was damn sneaky about it though. I was covered by the 1 year warranty, but I was out of warranty because the battery had over 300 cycles according to their hidden company policy. Total BS.)

So I was wondering if I should go with the fastmac battery or the apple battery? Also I was wondering if I need to buy a previous generation battery for my previous generation mbp or can I just buy the current mbp battery and slap it into my 2.2ghz coreduo 800mhz fsb 128mb vram mbp?

*I read in the reviews on amazon that the fastmac battery is not "set up to work with" the core 2 duo macbook pro.

Some guidance would be greatly appreciated. thank you. :)

2. cloudlife thread starter macrumors newbie

has anyone ever used a fastmac battery on their macbook pro?

3. macdot macrumors 6502

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I'm using a nupower and I love it. Well, it works and therefore makes me happy so I love it that black-and-white sort of way.

5. cloudlife thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, one time I went to a university apple store at UCSF and I asked if my previous generation mbp would work with the mbp battery of this generation. He told me that he would have to place in a special order for it. So I assumed that it did not work, because there were sealed mbp batteries sitting right on the counter.

However, when I go to the apple store website, there's only one mbp battery option available, and there it doesn't specify which mbp it works in. So I'm totally confused about whether or not there's a compatability issue between mbp/battery.

Then I checked out other mbp battery option from third-partys like fastmac. More conflicting information like I said earlier.

I just don't want to buy a roughly $130 battery then find out I could have gotten it cheaper/better and also not be able to return it. (I'm not sure if apple gives full refunds on batteries.)

I will check out the nupower though, thank you very much techhound1. Any more help is greatly appreciated.

6. cloudlife thread starter macrumors newbie

ah.... nupower is only for powerbooks and ibooks.....

i have a macbook pro....

7. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Wow. I have the nupower charger and could *swear* I got the battery from OWC too. Popping it out of the MBP reveals a Genuine Apple Product. Time to change those meds. :eek::p Sorry, mate!

8. cloudlife thread starter macrumors newbie

Aw. It's okay. thanks anyways. lol, we were both pretty surprised.