Help buying replacement optical disk drive for my 2008 20" 2.66Ghz imac (UK)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Veriix, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Veriix macrumors newbie

Hi there, I broke my disk drive and need to buy a replacement. The imac I have, I purchased in 2008 and the specs are 20" 2.66Ghz, 320gb HDD and 2gigs ram.

I am unsure as to what to buy (living in the uk)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-iMa...pAccessories_LaptopDrives&hash=item3373a604d4

I have found this which ships from china and seems the cheapest. Is that compatible with my imac? I can't seem to find any UK based ones which seem compatible, but to be honest I am guessing at this point at what will be compatible... and I would hate to buy a wrong item.

Does anyone know what exactly the product code, or detailed name of the optical device is which I need? or any links to UK auctions or websites which sell what I need? If not I guess I will have to purchase from USA or elsewhere.

I am selling my imac once it is fixed so I need the replacement optical drive to function in the same manner as the original.

Thanks for any help you can provide :)

2. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

Take it into an Apple Store and get them to do it. Opening up an iMac isn't easy, but damaging one doing it is. Apple won't be the cheapest, but they won't rip you off and will do it right.

3. Veriix thread starter macrumors newbie

That's one option I guess. I live nowhere near an apple store though... There is a shop in my town which claims to be able to do it which seems reputable. I'm just thinking if I can find the cheapest slot loading disk drive myself and provide it, the overall cost from this shop for fixing my imac will be reduced.