Help Calibrating my Ext Screen...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by swmr, Mar 3, 2008.

1. swmr macrumors regular

swmr

So I got my new MBP as specced in my sig last Tuesday, and one of the first things recomended I do is calibrate my screen. I am all about music, movies, and photos so I figured why not. I downloaded Supercal, and I think it worked great.

Now as you guessed from my title, I want to calibrate my external display that I use as a duel display setup. It is a 17" Dell E173FP that came with my Dimension (also specced in my sig). I am assuming that I can simply open Supercal when my laptop is closed as I awake it with a mouse, but I don't know if my logitech mouse will work. It is wireless and according to the website it is not Mac compatible, but it is a USB-option plug in.

What would be the best way to calibrate the external without going into sleep mode first?

Also, if I find a way to calibrate it in OSX, when I use it with my Dell it should keep the XP settings, correct? When I used it with my Dell, it did look pretty good, but I don

2. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

cheack out the thread called the extended desktop thread and do number 3 and try one of the other ones, because as to my knowledge calibration is... what?

if your trying to get your max res then do what it says on that page. as far as calibration..

3. swmr thread starter macrumors regular

swmr

You seemed to have misunderstood me. The resolution is fine (1280 x x1024) but it is the color and contrast of the screen that does not quite match the MBP's. I suppose it is the way I typed up my post. Trying number three won't help me I don't think, but number one might. Maybe if I can make the external the main window, Supercal will open there and calibrate that screen instead of the laptop screen.

4. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

ehh worth a try. if it works i'll throw this into that thread to keep the knowledge organized and usefull as there are many threads that are usefull but filled with 200+ posts and a pain to read. that other thread is definatly not suffering from that though

5. swmr thread starter macrumors regular

swmr

Worked like a charm. When I put the menubar onto the external display, Supercal opened there and I suppose it assumed it to be the default display. I was able to calibrate and create a new profile. When I was done, I just brought the menu bar back. I was still able to use my trackpad and keyboard.

On a sidenote, I was not allowed to move my dock. Is this because the dock must stay on the laptop screen unless it is closed?

You can definitely include this info if you would like. Problem is when I did my search I couldn't find results. Might be because I was searching "external", and not "extended."

6. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

will add. also will ad external display.

i am pretty sure you can move the dock also, i can not try right now as i do not have it connected but will try tomorrow.