Help calling Apple (Elgato Turbo.264 HD)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hk1992, May 19, 2009.

1. hk1992 macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I would like to buy Elgato Turbo.264 HD via Apple Store online, however, the delivery day stated on the site is after 27th, which by then my relatives have already left the US.
    So, can anyone help me to call Apple, and ask whether there is stock of Elgato Turbo.264 HD in San Francisco Apple retail stores.
    Thank you a lot!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. hk1992 thread starter macrumors newbie

I got this number, but I lived in Hong Kong and my relative does not speak English well. So can anyone do my a favor? Thanks!

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Pretty sure a company that sells/ships to many other places outside the US have people who speak your native language quite well.

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

You live in Hong Kong?
    You want your relatives to buy the Turbo.264 for you in San Francisco?

Why don't you buy the Turbo.264 in Hong Kong? I recently bought my Turbo.264 Kowloon side at Star City…
    I am sure it'd be much cheaper than buying it in the USA. It certainly was a hell of a lot cheaper than me buying it in the UK…
    :confused:

6. hk1992 thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? But then this is the new version (HD), and I really need it for my work, I don't think they have it in Star City, TST. Anyway, do u have the shop's name?
    BTW, Apple US does not sell products overseas, so can anyone just kindly make a call, thanks!

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I still don't understand why you can't call them? Clearly you can speak (and write) English.

8. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Yes, it was the HD.
    I remember it was one of the large shops… I also saw it in Windsor House (?) Causeway Bay.
    The UK price is about £150 and I paid less than £100 for it in HK. :D

I'd recommend you call around in Hong Kong and you may even get it tomorrow morning. ;)

He probably doesn't want to incur an international call carge… although it surely can't be that expensive.

9. hk1992 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, I didn't know Hong Kong shops import new products that fast and even cheaper than the listed price (Wow!), then I think I should go look around. Anyway, if you remember the shop name, please tell me, thanks!

And btw, you really get my thought, I didn't want to IDD to US just for asking Apple whether they have stocks... :)

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

You've obviously never heard of the "grey market" ;)
    And yes, cheaper because of no/low taxes… as well as the ability to bargain a bit.
    Very different from shopping at the Apple store. :D

11. hk1992 thread starter macrumors newbie

I went to Shum Shui Po, Mong Kok and TST today. New Vision's quote is HKD1580 (USD200), more expensive than US. Maybe I will try CWB later.

Anyway, can really anyone kindly call Apple Stores @ (415) 848-4445 / (415) 392-0202 / (415) 242-7890. Please, thanks!