HELP! Can I connect a 13" Macbook Retina with a 20" Cinema Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sap12690, Apr 14, 2014.

1. sap12690 macrumors 6502

I want to hook up my macbook pro retina with a larger monitor so I can do some graphic design in my room, however I dont know if would be able to hook it up with a 20" Cinema Display? Ive looked it up and all the connectors from the Cinema Display are different then the ports on my Macbook Retina. Has anybody done this before? Any help would be apprecaited.... THANKS

2. simsaladimbamba

Yes, you use a MiniDisplayPort to DVI adapter.

3. sap12690 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! The cinema display has 3 cables though, the USB, Firewire and DVI. With the adapter I can connect the DVI, and the USB. Where would I hook up the firewire cable?

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You would need a thunderbolt to Firewire adapter, which would plug in to your second Thunderbolt port. And, you would also need a FW800 to FW400 adapter, unless you can find a Thunderbolt to FW400 adapter - I don't know if that particular combination exists in one go.
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD464ZM/A/apple-thunderbolt-to-firewire-adapter?fnode=51

5. sap12690 thread starter macrumors 6502

Would I need one of those adapters for each thunderbolt or just one for the FireWire adapter? And what exactly does that small adapter do?

Thanks

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

One adapter: ThunderBolt to DVI for the display video
    Second adapter: Thunderbolt (your second Thunderbolt port) to Firewire adapter, probably with with another FW800 to FW400 adapter connected to that adapter - the Thunderbolt to Firewire gives your FW800, which is a square plug, then adapting to FW400, which is smaller, and sort-of oval to connect to the display, providing the Firewire for that port. That may not be simple, as you need a female FW400 for the cable on the display. Maybe you can choose to ignore the Firewire on the display, so if you need Firewire for one of your devices, you can just use the adapter from the Thunderbolt port.
    This all depends on what devices you need to connect to the display, I suppose.