Help! Can I make a MBP boot from the optical SATA Port

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PedroJobs, Jan 13, 2012.

1. PedroJobs macrumors newbie

My son's MBP stopped booting and the Apple store said it was a HD issue, so I bought him a SSD to replace the HD that came with the machine. Low and behold, it wasn't a HD problem. I replaced the HD with the SSD and booted from the Optical drive to reload the OS. The SSD was not seen in the disk utilities. I then put his old HD on an external connector device that allows it to connect via the USB and it was seen fine. In fact we were able to recover the data. I don't want to spend $450 to replace/repair the logic board, so I bought a bracket from OWC that allows the HD or SSD to be installed in the optical drive space. Sorry for the long explanation. Here is my probelm. I can't figure out how to tell the MBP to boot from the drive in the bracket. I put his HD back in to try and boot. I tried the holding the C down during boot. I tried the option key during boot but all I get is a gray screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I'm not really an expert in this, but I did just upgrade my drive to a SSD and removed my optical bay. Anyway, I noticed that boot screen (where you hold the option key) will only show devices it can actually boot from. So, you have to put some sort of OSX disk in your optical drive if you want it to boot from there or any of your other drives. It has to some sort of OS.

3. PedroJobs thread starter macrumors newbie

I moved the HD with the OS onto the optical drive location, but when I power on and hold the option key down all I get is a gray screen, but when I do a boot from DVD with the optical drive installed, that works fine. I'm probably doing something wrong. This thing is driving me crazy. AM I supposed to hold the option key while I push the power button.