Help! Can I recover the data stored on a bricked iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by starksy423, Feb 23, 2010.

1. starksy423 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I have an iPhone 3GS, 32GB, stock firmware (no jailbreak, hacks, etc.) and a PC with Windows XP SP2. I was using it the other night and an app (Facebook) froze up on me. I hit the home button to quit, and when I tried the app again it locked up my entire phone. I attempted a hard restart, but now the phone won't get past the white apple logo on a black background. I've tried numerous hard restarts, plugging in and unplugging to both the wall and computer, switching SIM cards, and good old fashioned button mashing, but to no avail.

I've found answers to this problem that include using "Recovery Mode" or "Device Firmware Upgrade" mode, and using them I can get the computer to recognize the phone. The only option I have from that point is to restore the phone to factory settings (which I have not yet done).

My issue is that I don't want to wipe the phone clean since I lost my backup due to a computer virus. I would be starting from scratch and I've had the phone since this summer. Even if the phone won't boot the information for things like photos and contacts must still be on the hard drive, is there any way to save them?

If anyone has the answer, please help.

Thanks,

Starksy

2. starksy423 thread starter macrumors newbie

Still no luck...

Does anyone know for sure if it's not possible, so I don't keep wasting my time?