[HELP] Can my computer handle this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Brainless24, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Brainless24 macrumors member

I recently bought a new MBP 13 inch 2.5 ghz and am needing to transfer all of my iTunes music from my old dell computer to my new laptop (MBP). Now the way I AM transferring is I am taking a flash drive, copy and paste all of music from my old computer onto the flash drive, then plugging the flash drive into my new MBP and then copy and paste it on there. My question is can my old dell handle me putting on of those songs onto the flash drive without freezing? My computer is a dell and is not the best. It has a lot of stuff on it, and if you do too much at a time it freezes (note when I am doing this I will only be doing this one thing). I have 1600 songs and am only transferring those, can my computer take this without freezing? Also will my way work? The guy at the apple store told me to do it this way. Also when I paste it to much new MBP will my MBP take this? If so will it put all of the music in the same albums and stuff as on my old computer? HELP ASAP! :apple:

2. Sdreed91 macrumors 6502

There is no way of knowing really. If you have decent ram and a sufficient CPU your computer should be able to handle it. Just try it if that doesn't work you might want try hooking an Ethernet cable between the computers or transfer that way.

3. durkkin macrumors regular

Why not try it and find out? How are we supposed to know what your Dell can and cannot do?

4. Mac.User macrumors 6502

NO ONE HERE CAN ANSWER THAT FOR YOU.

We do not use your Dell, we do not know it condition, we do not know what software it has, the speed of its drive, the total size of you music, any driver issues or malware that is installed on it, we have no idea what caused past freezes.

You are asking a question that is impossible for anyone but YOU to answer.

But the fact you are asking means:
    1) You have REASON to think that it will freeze when only copying files.

2) You have no idea how computers work and just don't know how impossible for us to answer your question is.

easy way to move files.

1, get usb drive big enough to hold whole iTunes library
    2, copy whole iTunes folder from PC
    3, Copy to Mac
    4. Have a beer.

5. sabbyp macrumors regular

does 'iTunes music' mean a collection of mp3's and not things you've paid for on iTunes?

if it's the latter you can simple log into your apple account on your macbook, open iTunes and all your previous purchases will be available for download.

the above posters are also totally correct, there's no way for anyone but you to tell if your desktop can handle it. Try it and see...

FYI you need to have a flash drive big enough to store all your mp3s, or if not you'll have to do it a few times.

On your computer, right click on the icon of the flash drive, go to properties and look for how big the capacity of the drive is. then do the same with the folder containing all your mp3s. If the flash drive capacity is larger than the amount of space that the mp3s take up, you're golden.

6. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I assume step 4 also works in the event the first three steps fail?

7. Polyphonie macrumors member

Polyphonie

If you think your Dell can't handle the entire 1600 song transfer in one go, why not break it down into several transfers (4*400 or 8*200) with ample time between each transfer. Simply tag each grouping for easy identification and less confusion.