HELP - cannot boot Mac Book Pro !!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brasiliangringo, Mar 7, 2009.

1. brasiliangringo macrumors regular

Hi,

I recently deleted mozilla and cleared out all folders / files in extension
    library/mozilla/extensions where bizarrely there existed something for another software program which is very strange.

Rebooted mac, now i get grey screen and timer circle, then mbp shuts down and restarts repeating process.

i have a month old backup on external which is an accpetable fix but how do i command mbp to do this - which key combo should i use to access start up menu or any other suggestions greatly appreciated !!!

Thank you, N

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Seems like you need to do an archive and install. Is your external bootable/ did you make a bootable backup?

3. brasiliangringo thread starter macrumors regular

update

i also applied my user access rights to entire HD by right clicking HD icon, changing my permissions to read/write and applying to all enclosed. Needed to in order to remove mozilla from another users library.

I have now got cd menu up and have option to archive old osx and reinstall new osx.. but perhaps there is an eaiser less timley way to fix ?!

Thanks

4. brasiliangringo thread starter macrumors regular

thanks arron
    guess with archive and install i can just drag across old stuff i need - which isnt much to be fair ??

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Unless someone else knows specifically what you did, how to fix that...I think the archive and install should be quickest. If it works, your stuff should still be there fine, no need to use backup.

6. brasiliangringo thread starter macrumors regular

It pure genius ! It reloaded/copied over all my user settings and aftermarket software. In effect same system but just had to update mac software ! That was it.. incredible!