Help, cannot delete contacts from MSN Messenger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blindvoyageur, Feb 15, 2008.

1. blindvoyageur macrumors newbie

Whenever I try to delete a contact from MSN Messenger, the following
    comes up..."The server was unable to remove the user "___" from
    your contact list. Please try again. Help!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Are you using Adium or MSN Messenger? Try using the other software from what you are using.

TEG

3. Variant macrumors 6502

Variant

I sorta have a feeling that you can't delete people who have blocked you when using Mac Messenger. The two people I can't remove have me block (99% sure, not that I care). Next time you're using a PC, just delete them using Live Messenger.

4. blindvoyageur thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried using a PC to block and while it eliminates them from
    the PC, they still remain on my Mac

5. blindvoyageur thread starter macrumors newbie

oops meant to delete and while it worked on the PC, still remain on my Mac

6. StephBrisk macrumors newbie

can't delete contact on msn

I can't remove a contact from my msn it gives me the same error...where you able to delete it and how?

7. reesy macrumors newbie

i had this problem. i deleted messenger from my hard-drive and re downloaded it and installed.
    clicked 'sign in' then 'Clear account activity' it will show a warning and what exactly it removes... iclicked yes and it cleared all the names from my contact list so now all the names i couldnt shift have gone.

8. reesy macrumors newbie

just to warn u that it pretty much resets ur msn, you lose all saved emocons and pictures etc.. so make a note of ur contacts before you do it!!

9. Louibambui macrumors newbie

Help

Hey. I have the same problem, but I can't get the "Clear account activity" to appear. How do you completely remove messenger from your harddrive? Because I just found messenger in "applications" and threw it in the trash - is that not the right way to do it?

10. mstrammd macrumors newbie

Deleting stubborn contacts from MSN Messenger for MAc

This problem had been annoying me for months. I finally solved it today. After reading some of these threads, I went to Meebo.com and signed in. It was there that I realized that the contact I deleted in Windows Live was really deleted from their server and that the problem was in my Mac.

To resolve the issue, go to your home folder>Library>Preferences>Microsoft and delete the following files:

com.microsoft.Messenger.plist
    Microsoft Messenger User Cache.plist

Restart your computer, then launch Messenger. The contact(s) should be gone.

11. andyprogrock macrumors newbie

deleting contacts from msn for mac - further help

should this be done on a mac or in a pc? where to find this menu:
    home folder>Library>Preferences>Microsoft ? tkk

12. MadCat30002 macrumors newbie

Solution

Yeah these are usually spam/advertisement account on MSN messenger. You can remove these pesky people by logging into Hotmail.com, click contacts, select who you want, click delete. Removes contact from Messenger Contacts. Cheers!

13. MacFoxy macrumors newbie

Forum Material

I wonder why you guys want so badly (or need!) to delete contacts from msn... bad judgement due to substance abuse? not enough alcohol? wife surveillance? it happened to be another guy?

14. Liviaa macrumors newbie

:(

none of these answers could actually help me :confused::..... any other suggestion??
    thanks!

15. babboxy macrumors member

haha same problem in new messanger 8 ...

what a bunch of loosers those amigos at microsoft.

16. babboxy macrumors member

another example that shows how much MS sucks lol... [edit] oh...just noticed I said that before!

17. oosmanch macrumors newbie

solution found

taken from another forum guys, but it has worked for me

Solution Found:

1) Sign out

2) Hit the sign in button (uncheck sign in automatically if checked)

3) Do you see the "Clear My Account History" under the password field?

4) HIT IT!

That will fix everything. At least it overfixed it for me. In fact, MSN restored my list from what it was like 4 years ago. My list grew from 60 to 180 (I kept my list 'clean').

But the important thing was, people who I deleted before and wouldn't appear deleted, now appear deleted. People who I unblocked now appear unblocked (as opposed to staying frozen on block).

To prevent this problem from happening again, do not use any other program besides the native MSN program. I know it sucks at the moment, but I'm pretty sure Adium is what caused the havoc on my list in the first place. Somewhere along the line, Adium didn't do it's job of properly syncing my MSN list with the Microsoft's servers. This was evident when every time I signed back on to MAC MSN, I'd see old contacts or my nickname name being something old.

Please let me know if this worked for you! One other thing I did before employing this method was to thoroughly delete any trace of MSN on my Mac.

G'luck.

18. babboxy macrumors member

thanks, this worked for me. even without restarting my computer.

19. datsdwaytis macrumors newbie

Serious Solution!
    I D E A L :D

20. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

Thanks, mstrammd - this two-year-old thread popped up in google when I searched on this problem, and your solution worked. :)

21. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

Thank you!!

I finally got some one off who I didn't know who they were or how they got my information to be added.