Help - Cannot delete Norton even though I did?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PhillyXJ, Dec 1, 2008.

1. PhillyXJ macrumors newbie

I deleted Norton Anti-Virus, but every time I plug my external in, or a card reader, it continues to scan the drives even though there is no trace of Norton on my computer... not exactly sure how to fix this. I am a first time mac user... so I would appreciate any input! Thanks!

2. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

do a spotlight search for "norton" and delete any references. Also check to see if you have any Norton related items starting up at logon under your user account in the system preferences

App zapper wouldve been great for you...

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Norton have a tool you can use to remove it from your system. See this page for more details.

4. PhillyXJ thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow I think that worked, thank you so much for the help. I don't know why it didn't completely go away when I deleted it. Are there any other programs known to do this?

Again, thank you!

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The only reason I knew about this tool was that I happened to be helping someone today do this exact thing.

Really depends on the program or more generally the type of program. The only two I know of that do this type of behaviour are Norton and Intego NetBarrier. Both of these programs are antivirus types and as part of their design need to operate in all areas of the system. Thus they typically come with installer programs and hopefully uninstaller tools as well.

General applications such as Word, Photoshop, Opera, iWeb ... may leave some files around however will not have background processes that run.