help cannot get music onto watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by madeirabhoy, Sep 27, 2017.

1. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

my music is all in iTunes match as i dont have much space on my iPhone, one of the reasons to want to put some music on the watch

so first of all i am over eager, go into the watch app and add about 10 albums, not only does it say uploading for ages but every few albums i have to delete an app as it tells me i have ran out of space. see the system size rises so guess it downloads the music to there rather than the music app on the phone.

after leaving that for an hour i figured i might have over loaded it so delete everything but the first album from the watch app. it still says uploading. wait ages. delete that album and replace it with a fresh album which is the only thing uploading on it.

and then i wait. and look. and wait. and try different things.

notice it doesnt even pretend to be uploading when the watch is plugged into the usb on my iMac, so move it to a proper plug. leave it over night with both of them beside each other both plugged in, both on wifi. try it with the phone on its side looking like an alarm clock, and on its back so it doesnt. put the phone on dont got to sleep, and leave it on the watch app

figure it might be that it doesnt get the music from the internet well, so trying to download the same album to my phone but that just whizzes round, is that coz its trying to download the album from two different places at the same time?

2. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

Do you have an AW3 as that has 16gb where as earlier watches have 8gb. Have you reset your phone and are you on 11.0.1, Syncing more that 2gb to the watch is now possible subject to memory space. I have to say that I have only added music that is n my watch....over 30 albums so far.

3. madeirabhoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have a non cellular AW3, so I guess that is 8gb. under general it says capacity 5.6gb available 3.7gb. Songs 0.
    under music I don't see any options to change capacity, just automatically add heavy rotation, and manually add music, which ive only added 1 album (best of Aztec camera) so that's probably 100mg.

I am only on 11.0 but I go into software update and it says ios 11.0 your software is up to date.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

As I understand it, the music has to be on the phone before it can transfer from the phone to the watch. I don't think there's any setup for direct computer-to-watch transfer. The charger for the watch is just that, a charger, not a communications interface.

5. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

You need to direct what songs you want on the Watch using the Watch app on your phone. iTunes on your iMac won’t do anything for you. Also you need to install the latest iOS patch 11.0.1 to fix the music limitation of 2gb.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2017 ---
    If your phone is saying it’s up to date, that means you installed the GM version of iOS 11. Remove the beta profile on your phone and reboot it. After that you’ll be able to update to 11.0.1

6. madeirabhoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

no, sorry i know that, what i mean is when the watch is plugged into my iMac its charging, but that doesnt seem to count for it to accept music, it says its not charging. i dont mean that i thought the iMac would transfer the music, simply that it charging it would be the same as the wall plug charging it.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2017 ---
    thanks, just deleted the beta profile and installing now.

strangely, though i managed to get some music on the watch and thought it fixed. went to work, downloaded aztec camera onto my phone. switched the phone on and off for luck. tried it, straight away it copied.

so thought maybe the music had to be on the phone. but i clicked on bruno mars album and it copied straight from iTunes match. woo woo.

clicked on a third album. nothing. appears in my watch app in iPhone but not even pretending on the phone that its updating. on the watch its naively doing circles but it aint going to happen.

7. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

I believe if the album isn’t on your phone at this time the Watch app will delete the music from the Watch be cause it assumes you don’t want it. The functionality you want I feel will work when the music app is updated to fully support Apple Music. Currently the Watch mirrors the phone and is more of an extension than it is a separate entity.

8. madeirabhoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

right I have managed to get almost a 2nd album onto it. I thought It had put Bruno mars on but when I went into it, there were no songs.

seems the problem is the minute it goes wrong for whatever reason then I need to delete the album on the watch app, turn off and on both the phone and watch, and possibly even change wifi connections. otherwise its like my music app on my phone is tied up in the problem and nothing downloads on that either. get to work (or from there to home) restart both and they seem fine. doing this I got 19 out of 21 songs off a J&MC album but it wont get the other 2...

giving up...

9. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

Also it transfers songs over Bluetooth not wifi. So it's slow. Just set what you want on there, stick both devices on the charger overnight. By morning it should be transferred provided you have enough space on your watch. You won't be able to fill the watch completely with songs, the OS needs some space for the paging file to move stuff into and out of RAM as all computers do.

10. madeirabhoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

it was left overnight last night. did nothing at all.

11. madeirabhoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

figured out a setup that works, for anyone else that has this problem.

i need to start out with a phone and watch that have been restarted since any music got stuck before, and any music that got stuck needs to be deleted.

watch on charge, from an electrical socket not my mac.
    turn my phones auto lock to 'never'.
    copy one album at a time, downloading it from the cloud to the phone first, not trying to copy it straight from the cloud.
    dont do anything with the phone in the meantime, leave it on the watch app the whole time.

with this, its working fine albeit slowly.