Help! Cannot loosen screw

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cerhard, Oct 11, 2008.

1. cerhard macrumors member

Need help.... I just bought the crucial 4gb kit from fry's...I was just trying to change it but i can't get the middle screw to loosen. Any Ideas?

2. P Mentior macrumors regular

Here is what I do for these stubborn screws. Just remember to be careful while doing this.

1. Get your screwdriver and a pair of pliers. *edit* - if you are using the wrong size of screwdriver you may damage your screws so be careful!
    2. Place the driver into the screw and apply downward pressure by placing the palm of your hand on the back of the driver and pushing firmly but not too hard.
    3. Grab the handle of your driver with the pliers and gently turn the driver using the pliers.

This method usually works for me. Just remember to be careful and take your time.

Hope this helps.

3. cerhard thread starter macrumors member

the screw will not move the slightest...i dunno what to do...i can't find a screw driver that will fit in the screw right....crap...i just wanna do this and get it over with...wtf

4. P Mentior macrumors regular

Do you have an Apple store near you? If so you could take it in and see if they will do it for you right in the shop. You might want to call ahead and get an appointment before you go as they can get pretty busy. At the very least they should get the screw out for you.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What size bit are you using? It has to be PH0

Apple won't do the upgrade, but they will loosen the screws a bit if they can and if you ask nicely.

6. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Are you turning it the right way? Lefty loosey righty tighty.
    Also consider...
    :p

7. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

they may do it i have herd they sometimes do

To the OP:
    Try just a spritz or WD-40 to brake the lock-tight. The funny thing is mine has fallen out by itself twice and the Apple people say its normal

8. cerhard thread starter macrumors member

i'm gonna go to the store tomorrow and pick up that bit so hopefully it'll fit and work....i'm gonna pass on the wd-40....i don't really want to spray the same stuff i use under my car inside my computer case.

9. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

i am telling you its works, u see the screw is only attached about 2mm deep in a hole with lock tight

10. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Be patient. Stripping a crucial screw is one of the worst things known to man.

11. cerhard thread starter macrumors member

yeah...I'm going to my buddy's tonight and he has he ultimate assortment of random tools so hopefully we'll find something that fits...i need to fill out the rebate form by thurs...and if i can't get it open i dunno whether to take back the ram or just keep it and try to have apple or geek squad get the screw out for me

12. cerhard thread starter macrumors member

so i went to my buddy's today and wouldn't you know it he was able to get the screw out in about 2 secs....i'm happy to finally change the ram so i know it works...haven't had much of a chance to test it out but it feels good to know that i'm rollin 4gb now so my mac will last a decent amount of time