Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aerlenbach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
So I did something stupid...
I took an old iMac from 2005ish? out of my mother's storage room at her office to try and give it a new life.
So I take it home, turn it on, and start messing around with it. It's got a lot of old files and stuff that isn't needed, so I start throwing stuff away. After a few minutes it starts running really slow and isn't responding. So I restart it. Then the all-knowing "you effed up" screen pops up. As in...
panic(cpu 0): inable to find driver for this platform "PowerMac8,1".
And a bunch of other crap.
I clearly threw away something important, and now the software needs to be reinstalled. Easy, right?
So I find the disks for Panther. All 3 of them. And I look in the internet on how to do it because I've never tried to reinstall the OS on a computer before.
The first site I looked to said to put the disk in, restart, and hold "D"
I do that. It looks like it's working, it sees the disk, I click it, long story short, it doesn't work.
So I look on a few more pages, and they're all telling me to restart while pressing "C". Okay.
So I do that, it says to wait for an :apple: and a rotating gear. The apple comes, but the gear never comes. I looks as if the apple shifts to the right, and gets cut off a little bit, but after that, nothing happens. I try restarting with C a few more times, and the same result. Then I think "hmmm... D started to work before sort of, why not try that again?" So I try it while pushing D, and as it turns on, it makes the most Horrifying noise I've ever heard come from a computer, and then shows the "panic(cpu 0):" screen again. So now Idk wtf to do.
Any suggestions would be lovely.
thanks

con0095

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2011
Lee's Summit, MO USA
help is on its way

i heard that you should restart it normaly and a screen would pop up asking what you wanted to do with the disk. click boot to disk and that is all.

........i think.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
According to EveryMac.com the shipping OS on that iMac is OS X 10.3.5 (Panther), what version are the Panther discs you're using?

aerlenbach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
I took the computer to the Apple Store, and they said I deleted a system file that was so important, that their disks could not be read by my computer because my computer could not understand them.
Crap.
So I called Apple Care, and they're sending me the right disk. Turns out it was actually running Tiger.
Thanks for your help though guys.

wangkom

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
I took the computer to the Apple Store, and they said I deleted a system file that was so important, that their disks could not be read by my computer because my computer could not understand them.
Crap.
So I called Apple Care, and they're sending me the right disk. Turns out it was actually running Tiger.
Thanks for your help though guys.

Glad you got it figured out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.