Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ndprunner22

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2008
I am trying to remove the HDD on my new alu macbook but The bracket screw will not budge. I will upload a picture, I tried not to turn too hard and strip it. Any Ideas? Thanks

I am using a 1.4 mm screwdriver.. Do i need a 1mm?

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
OWC says that you need a #00 Phillips screwdriver to remove that bracket screw and I am not sure how metric sizes translate to the # sizes- unless you are trying to remove it with a flat blade screwdriver (which I hope is not the case!). I am assuming you are talking about the single initial bracket screw that needs to be removed before the drive can be lifted out, rather than the four Torx T-6 screws holding the drive to the bracket itself.

To see their videos of the process, check Late 2008 Hard Drive Swap at the OWC site for reference.

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
You definitely need the right screw driver for it, using one which is a wrong size isn't going to work well, especially with the weird angle you need to go with.

ndprunner22

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2008
ok cool looks like i just need to get the#00 screwdriver thanks for your help :D

CarlsonCustoms

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2007
Use the right size screwdriver and put even steady hard pressure on while turning and you should be fine.

Zack

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
You definitely need the right screw driver for it, using one which is a wrong size isn't going to work well, especially with the weird angle you need to go with.

That was certainly the case with the pre-aluminum bodied MacBooks, but just for reference the hard drive in the aluminums is mounted totally differently. There is only one fully exposed phillips screw to remove the drive from the computer which is great- even simpler than before!:) Removing it from the carrier bracket does still require a Torx screwdriver though- in this case a T6 size.

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
Ahh, good to know. I haven't been able to mess much with the new macbooks yet. Thanks :)

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Just to clarify, it's not actually a carrier bracket that the HDD sits in. It's just four mounting screws that screw into the HDD itself and hold it in place inside the MB. There are two holes towards the edge of the MB that the mounting screws need to slide into, and two notches at the other edge that the remaining screws rest in. Then the bracket closes down on the exposed mounting screws securing the HDD in place.

ndprunner22

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2008
I got it thanks guys! Just an FYI eye glass repair kits work great if you can find a phillips head one! Then I just got a T-6 bit and swaped the mounts on the side of the hard drive. I am installing my ssd as we speak and I am recording it all. Video will be up later. Thanks Again for the help. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.